Twelve Stars

Thoughts on a community tutorials section?

Hey, I have been thinking about the number of times I have written the same (or similar) pieces, when answering questions, which are probably better suited to a mini tutorial section on the forum. I have seen several other posters writing solutions which probably deserve a different section as well. I think the title of the original question doesn't always necessarily lead people toward these solutions, and they eventually get lost in the ether, unless someone links back to them.

I think it might be an idea to be able to promote posts that go a little beyond simple answers to direct questions, to a tutorials section. These could then have suitable titles, be linked back to the original question, and maybe be given a bit more profile.

It might also be a nice idea to allow people to write directly to a tutorials section preempting a requirement, or just because they think their idea could be useful. This might require some vetting I guess, or community validation.

If nothing else, this may prevent a lot of rework for people who end up writing the same solutions (because they can't find the post they kind of remember posting last time), and could lend a hand to promoting different community members. They could also be indexed by specific Talend tool, components,... as well as a whole host of other useful metrics. When it comes to "Accepted Solutions" and "Kudos", it could help those members who have written the tutorials to maximise their return. It could also introduce the idea of something like an "Assist" score (like a "goal assist" in football) when someone points another community member to a useful tutorial.

What do you think?
Rilhia Solutions
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: Thoughts on a community tutorials section?

Hey Richard! We just added a how-to and best practices area. Looking forward to seeing the submissions!

-N

2 REPLIES
Community Manager

Hey Richard! We just added a how-to and best practices area. Looking forward to seeing the submissions!

-N

Twelve Stars

I've added a little something which I've found useful since I first stumbled upon it.

Rilhia Solutions