Heads up to v7.2! Your can now test the 7.2.1 M1

Community Manager

Heads up to v7.2! Your can now test the 7.2.1 M1

Dear Community,
We are pleased to announce that the M1 of Talend Open Studio v7.2.1 is now publicly available, for testing only. This milestone primarily contains bug fixes, and is recommended for experienced users who would like to get an early preview of upcoming 7.2 release.
Download the Milestone #1 of Talend Open Studio for [Data Integration | Big Data | Data Quality | MDM | ESB]:
Data Integration: download
Big Data: download
Data Quality: download
MDM: download
ESB: download
When on the download page > scroll down to the "Other Releases" section to find this release.
Thanks for being a part of our community.

Talend Community Team

----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
Highlighted
Forteen Stars

Re: Heads up to v7.2! Your can now test the 7.2.1 M1

Hi Shawn (and all Talend team)!

it would be good to have "Whats-new" files for each beta version - you use community as beta testers :-) and it is fine, but and for us is good to know - what new and interesting in new version without go thru all components.

regards, Vlad

-----------
Community Manager

HI @vapukov

I don't think we have started any What's new document at this point of the release. It's still a very early milestone.

Let me check internally whether we could have some change log (quite rough) to share.

What can be interesting for the Community though on early milestones would be to check if some known issues from the previous versions were fixed for example. Those fixes often take place after a version is gone GA but as there is no patch delivery on Open Source tools, it only gets available in the next version.

Kind reminder, Milestones should not be used for production.

Cheers, 

Elisa

Six Stars

Is version 7.2.1 a 'feature' or a 'security' update?  Like, what does this fix / enhance versus 7.1.1 GA 

Community Manager

Hi

7.2 is a feature update, there will be a bunch of new features and  functions added to the product line, although they may also be security updates along the line.

As a quick explanation about the reason why we  use 7.2.and not 7.2.0 as first version is because the version 7.2.0 is a beta version that get distributed to only a selection of customers and internally for bug detection and regression deflection purpose, so that when we go GA with 7.2.1, the product meets our go live standards. (doesn't mean we found all bugs or issues though, but we do our best Smiley Very Happy

I hope I answered your question.

Elisa

Six Stars

What does a middle number update mean?  is it a 'feature' update where a minor number means bug/security fix?  Trying to figure out the number parts and what they mean as we are looking at upgrading to 7.x soon.  

Five Stars

Any luck with the 'What's new' features?

We love to understand the main differences between 7.1.1 and 7.2.1.

Six Stars

The only thing I got was that 7.2.1 is a 'feature' update but they do not have the actual differences listed yet. I suspect these will come out when it goes to GA. 

Six Stars

Does anyone know what date the 7.2.1 GA is estimated to be released?

We are planning on upgrading from 6.5.1 to 7.1.1 in the near future, however, if 7.2.1 is not far off then we'd rather wait for that.

Is there a roadmap documented somewhere ?

Six Stars

We are also in same situation Smiley Happy
Five Stars

I'm also trying to establish when 7.2 will be ready for GA?

Also, on the "release notes" page there are no actual release notes for 7.2 so it's impossible to know what new features have been added. The only option you have is to download the entire 7.2.1M1 release and install it and investigate new features manually.

My question is very specific... does 7.2.1 support Cloudera 6.x yet? Because Talend state that they are certified on Cloudera's latest Enterprise version of Hadoop, yet Talend 7.1.1 actually only supports up to CDH 5.13. Any thoughts on this?

Six Stars

Unfortunately, I don't work with Cloudera so I am not sure . 

Community Manager

Sorry for the delay, I overlooked the replies on this thread.

First @chafer, our versioning is pretty much: Major.Minor.ServicePack
First digit corresponds to a Major release with major updates or large new refurbishing or license changes.
Second digit corresponds to Minor release including bug fixes/Security fixes/patches & services packs as well as some features.
Third digit corresponds to a Service pack for bug/patch/security enhancements.
More information on https://www.talend.com/support/support-statements/

Then @chafer & @dleerob 

Unfortunately, at this moment, I don't have any release note ready for you.  I'll update this thread when I get some additional information about What's new in 7.2.

Now for the date of GA for 7.2.1, I can't give you a precise date at this point, but the target is Summer 2019. Stay tuned.

At last @hebrodoth , to your question about "will 7.2.1 support Cloudera 6.x?"

We usually try to support the latest version of any Hadoop distribution, but it happens that by the time a partner releases their latest version we're already released our platform. But if you're Talend customer, I'd advocate that you contact the customer care team to check whether the distribution 6.x hasn't been made available through the update site of Talend (customers only).

Elisa

Five Stars

Hi Elisa,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm an independent consultant that works with a range of clients, all of whom have different needs. As part of vendor selection I am required to advise my client on compatibility and support for each technology choice. When deciding between other ETL tools e.g. Pentaho and Informatica, it concerns me greatly that you are unable to give any insight into product roadmap or support for Cloudera 6.x. On top of that, it seems Talend are falsely stating that they support the latest Enterprise version of Cloudera, when clearly they do not.

"Talend tightly integrates with Cloudera and has been certified on the latest Cloudera Enterprise platform, including Cloudera Navigator."

That's the marketing material published on this page: https://www.cloudera.com/partners/solutions/talend.html

I plan to reach out to Cloudera to better understand why they are allowing this misleading information to be advertised on their site. Clearly you have acknowledged that Talend are not in a position to keep up with the latest Cloudera distributions. Furthermore, please note that CDH 6.0 was released back in August 2018 whereas TOS_BG was released in October 2018, hence Talend released their major version several months AFTER the CDH 6.0 was made available. I don't think there's any dispute here except to make it clear that Talend is absolutely not certified with the latest Cloudera release and that is potentially at least 12 months behind (based on your Summer 2019 release date for 7.2) and that's assuming support for 6.x is added.

With regards to your release notes and roadmap I find it strange that Talend cannot advise potential customers of what this looks like e.g. future planned release dates, CDH 6.x support, new features being worked on, etc. Every other big vendor e.g. Microsoft Azure or Hitatchi Data Systems keeps customers informed about their product roadmap, future release dates, new features being developed, Hadoop / Cloudera integration, and so forth. It's clearly not something Talend wish to be transparent about and that I find very disappointing. Consider how hard it is for a consultant to recommend Talend when none of this information is forthcoming?

From a customer perspective, the only advise that Talend have so far given is that CDH 6.x is not officially supported (certified) and that the best approach is to try and use the latest CDH version e.g. 5.13 for each component and then hope that it works correctly. Anyway, that's my feedback and I hope you can appreciate why I won't be advising that my client adopts Talend in this case as they are bound to CDH 6.x due to support for ADLS gen2 (something else Talend is quiet about, ....) and various Kudu enhancements.

Community Manager

Hi @hebrodoth 

I don't think we're trying to lie to anyone or mislead on anything, I'm here to help.

I didn't check when exactly CDH 6.0 was out vs our own GA, I just said that partner's releases are not always in sync with ours.  

But releasing a new distribution is not just adding a check mark on our support list, it requires to run a certain number of test and QA before we can actually claim that we support it. I don't exactly know what prevented us from adding it for 7.1, let me investigate in-house.

As for sharing the roadmap, we're right in the middle of the roadmap refinement for 7.2, there are still few things to be confirmed as per the R&D commitment on delivery, this is why we're not able at this point to share a definitive release note on what is going to ship with 7.2. Whenever this will be ready, I'll share it. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Five Stars

Hi Elisa,

Of course it's misleading. My client spoke to Cloudera about Talend's marketing page on their website, claiming that they support the latest version of Cloudera, and I believe that will have to be edited. My client has also pivoted away from their contract with Talend due to this misleading info and lack of any official support.

Anyway, this remains a technical forum so I'd like to ask if you've had any update to your release date and / or product roadmap yet? You last replied over 9 weeks ago indicating that you would share more details as you get them. Please tell me you are still unsure about your 7.2. Release still? If not, then why haven't those details yet been shared?

Best regards

Community Manager

Hi @hebrodoth 

First wrt Cloudera 6.x, I verified internally and I was told that CDH 6.0 is currently provided as a Tech preview since Talend v7.1 via the dynamic distribution of Studio.

CDH 6.1 will be fully supported with 7.2 again via dynamic distribution. Along with CDH 6.1, we will also bring Spark 2.4 support, both locally and with CDH (as it is a requirement for CDH 6.1 support)

Now wrt to the 7.2 release date we're still aiming at an end of June timeline, at this point.

Hope this answers most of your questions.

Elisa

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

6 Ways to Start Utilizing Machine Learning with Amazon We Services and Talend

Look at6 ways to start utilizing Machine Learning with Amazon We Services and Talend

Blog

Why Companies Move to the Cloud: 7 Success Stories

Learn how and why companies are moving to the Cloud

Read Now

Agile Data lakes & Analytics

Accelerate your data lake projects with an agile approach

Watch