One Star

[resolved] TOS DI 5.6.0 can't start if Java 8 is just installed on the machine

I upgraded my notebook (Win7 64-bit) TOS DI installation from 5.6.0 to 6.0.0.
After a little study, I
- Exported my properly working project from Talend 5.6.0
- Changed (Uninstall and Install) my Java installations FROM  (JRE 7u67, 32 and 64-bit) TO (JDK 7u79 32 and 64-bit + JDK 8u51 64-bit)
- Set the JAVA_HOME and JDK_HOME environment variables to "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_79"
- Installed TOS DI 6.0.0
- Set in Windows -> Preferences -> Java -> Installed JRE the "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_79" (default) and "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_51"
- Imported the project in TOS DI 6.00
- TOS DI 6.0.0 starts, java seems OK, it can run and build simple jobs, and the project is more or less working, but not completely (but this is another story).
So I wanted to look at the original project in TOS DI 5.6.0. Launched 5.6.0, I've got the error message "The Studio doesn't support Java 8. QUIT" despite environment variables and default pointing to "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_79". After that I deleted the non-default "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_51" set in Windows -> Preferences -> Java -> Installed JRE and restarted the notebook, but nothing changed.
It seems that the simple presence of Java 8 is enough to stop TOS DI 5.6.0
Do I need to uninstall Java 8 to be able to open TOS DI 5.6.0 ?
Maybe I'm missing something...
Thank you for your help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
One Star

Re: [resolved] TOS DI 5.6.0 can't start if Java 8 is just installed on the machine

I put the TOS DI 5.6.0 to work, using the suggestions of this article:
help.talend.com/display/KB/Specifying+another+JVM+to+launch+Talend+Studio
That is, starting TOS with the CMD
start /B C:\TalendOS_DI_560\TOS_DI-win-x86_64.exe -vm "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_79\bin"

Now TOS DI 5.6.0 starts with jdk1.7.0_79 without errors, runs the job, builds the job, and the built job runs on the execution linux JDK 7 machine.
As for me, I'm OK.
Thank You Sabrina.
Not well tested yet the TOS DI 6.0.0, but as for JDK it was already more or less working, and this change shouldn't affect it.
4 REPLIES

Re: [resolved] TOS DI 5.6.0 can't start if Java 8 is just installed on the machine

Hi,
Did you install both JDK 1.8 and JDK 1.7 on your machine?
How did you set your  JAVA_HOME for JDK 1.8 and JDK 1.7?
Please take a look at my screenshot.
Best regards
Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Did you install both JDK 1.8 and JDK 1.7 on your machine?
How did you set your  JAVA_HOME for JDK 1.8 and JDK 1.7?
Please take a look at my screenshot.

Hi Sabrina.
> Did you install both JDK 1.8 and JDK 1.7 on your machine?
    YES: JDK 7u79 32-bit and 64-bit    AND   JDK 8u51 64-bit

> How did you set your  JAVA_HOME for JDK 1.8 and JDK 1.7?
    With the same value, the JDK7 one
    JAVA_HOME="C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_79"
      JDK_HOME="C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_79"
    Done via Start / Computer / Properties / Advanced / Environment variables
    Just, I'm noticing now, as User variables, not System variables like you did.

The aim of my inquiry is to have both TOS DI 5.6.0 and 6.0.0 working on the same machine, everyone using its newer compatible JDK,
with no need to Uninstall / Install JDK every time.
Another piece of information:
After the Java upgrade, when failing to start, TOS DI 5.6.0 is not even able to write the log:
my  workspace\.metadata\.log file is still at the last start before the java upgrade.
Thank you for your help.

Hi,
The aim of my inquiry is to have both TOS DI 5.6.0 and 6.0.0 working on the same machine, everyone using its newer compatible JDK,
with no need to Uninstall / Install JDK every time.

Could you please take a look at KB article about:TalendHelpCenterSmiley Frustratedpecifying another JVM to launch Talend Studio?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

I put the TOS DI 5.6.0 to work, using the suggestions of this article:
help.talend.com/display/KB/Specifying+another+JVM+to+launch+Talend+Studio
That is, starting TOS with the CMD
start /B C:\TalendOS_DI_560\TOS_DI-win-x86_64.exe -vm "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_79\bin"

Now TOS DI 5.6.0 starts with jdk1.7.0_79 without errors, runs the job, builds the job, and the built job runs on the execution linux JDK 7 machine.
As for me, I'm OK.
Thank You Sabrina.
Not well tested yet the TOS DI 6.0.0, but as for JDK it was already more or less working, and this change shouldn't affect it.