[resolved] Please help to install MDM Community Edition on Windows

I am trying to install Talend MDM Community edition on my PC xP service pack 3 with internet explorer 8
I have downloaded and installed JDK (a.k.a. Java EE 5 SDK Update 8) creating a server c:\Sun\JDK\domains\domain1
Into this location I have unzipped TMDMCE-All-r36300-V3.2.0.zip (as per Talend MDM CE Installation Guide)
In windows, I have set JAVA_HOME=C:/Sun/JDK (hints from the forum)
In the resulting folder C:\Sun\JDK\domains\domain1\TMDMCE-Server-All-r36300-V3.2.0\bin , I found batch file called 'run' and ran it seeing the command screen only very briefly
Using shutdown.bat, I can at least see the command screen and in the pane C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe it says the system cannot find the path specified. I tried also to change the environment variable JAVA_HOME to "c:/Sun/JDK/domains/domain1" - no luck! I assume JAVA_HOME is still wrong for both run and shutdown
Where have I gone wrong, please?

• Talend MDM Server
11 REPLIES
One Star

Re: [resolved] Please help to install MDM Community Edition on Windows

I'm not an expert on application servers, but do the following as a start:
Open a command prompt (Start - Run - enter cmd and press enter) Navigate to the directory where your run.bat file is located, i.e. the root of the TalendMDMCE Server. Just type run and hit enter... this should display the server output log and note any errors that are shown.
Mine complained about a JDK version or something, but I was able to fix it from looking at the errors provided in the console.
Hope it helps.
Regards,
Jean
Employee

Hello,
Remember you have to use JDK 1.6, and NOT 1.5.
Besides, do not install Talend MDM in the same place as your JDK installation.
Personnally, I installed my JDK in "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_17" and set the JAVA_HOME system variable to this value.
Regards

Conclusion from resolution
I had the wrong version and tried to locate Talend MDM in the JDK directory
Use link http://developers.sun.com/docs/javacaps/installing/jcapsinstgui.inst_jdk_javahome_t.html and I suggest download of the JDK Windows version without the Sun download tool (so you can see where installation is going)
Note that this sets JAVA_HOME to another value, so you need to intervene as advised
Information on running batch file also very helpful
Both supporters have been thanked by mail
One Star

Hi guys, I followed the above mentioned guidelines and then trying executing the batch file 'run.bat' from the command prompt. However, there is no indication of any progress except that the batch file tries to run another batch file ('run.bat' in the 'bin' folder). Beyond that, no error messages, nothing. Is there something that I am missing?
Environment:
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
JDK Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_18
I have set the JAVA_HOME path to the same.
Any suggestions? Kindly do let me know. Thanks.

Sincerely
Prashanth M.C.R.
One Star

Having similar problem. Run.bat is getting as far as below. Any help much appreciated.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Files\TalendMDM\jboss
-4/2/2/GA\lib\endorsed -classpath C:\Program
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Files\TalendMDM\jboss-4.2.2.GA\lib\
endorsed -classpath C:\Program
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
Could not find the main class: Files\TalendMDM\jboss-4.2.2.GA\lib\endorsed -clas
spath C:\Program. Program will exit.
Press any key to continue . . .
Employee

Hello,
It seems that you have installed your MDM Server in c:\Program Files...
I suppose that the 'space' character in "Program Files" is not well supported. I suggest that you install Talend MDM in a folder without any spaces.
Regards
One Star

I have installed Talend MDM on a separate drive. It is the JDK that has been installed in "Program Files" (C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_18). Do let me know if you would need more information. Thanks for the quick response.
Sincerely
Prashanth M.C.R.
Employee

(Side note: Java 5 is supported in 4.0. We mistakenly released 3.2 with a lib compiled in Java 6, but this has been fixed).
Now back to your post.
This seems to happen when the PATH variable is too long, or had spaces etc. Last time I heard that, it was solved by slimming down the PATH in JBoss' startup script (/bin/run.bat).
See for instance by the line 20. If you left the checkbox "Install as a service" checked during installation, I believe you do have a bin/native directory (I am not 100% sure, I am not using Windows so I can't check just right now). So the script goes:
REM Add bin/native to the PATH if present
if exist "%JBOSS_HOME%\bin\native" set PATH=%JBOSS_HOME%\bin\native;%PATH%
if exist "%JBOSS_HOME%\bin\native" set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Djava.library.path="%PATH%"
So at the end, the java command run by the script will have the whole PATH in -Djava.library.path.
Try prefixing the 2 lines with a "REM", and running run.bat in a terminal. To run as a service, I guess you would have to define a stripped down list of paths in -Djava.library.path.
One Star

I shall hopefully work on this task today and keep you posted as to whether it worked or not. Thanks for the input though.
One Star

In talend installation in jboss run the batch file, it shows error like log4j error: file not found
Please help me to solve the issue.
One Star

If i run the batch file it shows incompletely deployed packages..
Please solve the issue..
Thanking you