One Star

[resolved] Installing an extension - How?

Hi,
I want to install an extension for google analytics.
I have unzipped the file but I cannot find instruction on what to do next?
Where do the various files go so that I can see is in the Palette? See screen shot
Thanks in advance,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: [resolved] Installing an extension - How?

Hello
After you unzip the file, copy the folder and go to plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_3.2.1.r31371\components, then paste it there, restart TOS.
Best regards

shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
8 REPLIES
Community Manager

Hello
After you unzip the file, copy the folder and go to plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_3.2.1.r31371\components, then paste it there, restart TOS.
Best regards

shong
One Star

Shong,
Thank you very much for your reply.
One Star

Why isn't this in the User's guide somewhere?
It took me hours of fussing and searching to find it?! :-O
Thank you for the help Shong.
One Star

Update: This is not the recommended way to do it, at least not for 4.2.3 and 5.0.
It is actually explained in the Studio Users Guide, its just hidden in a place you dont expect to find it. Find the section titled "External or User components", its in the "Getting Started/Customizing project Settings"
Basically you put your user components in a directory somewhere. Then tell Talend Studio where they are, and it imports them into its internal directory structure
One Star

So how d you exactly "tell Talend Studio where they are"?
Community Manager

So how d you exactly "tell Talend Studio where they are"?

Set the User component folder parameter in preference. I suggest you to read this article Installing a custom component.
Shong
One Star

shong,
When browsing Exchange in this location - http://www.talendforge.org/exchange - I see more available components than when accessing the Exchange link within the Talend client. It would be easier to integrate new extensions from within the client but the fact that there are many extensions not visible there makes it useless.
Community Manager

Hi jconcepcion
I understand what you concern, Talend Studio read the "Compatible with" information of extension in Talend exchange and only list the compatible components, the "Compatible with" information of extension is written by the author of the extension, they don't update the "Compatible with" information time to time. In fact, most of the custom components can be installed into the latest Talend Studio and use, so I suggest you to install manually the custom component as guided.
Shong