[resolved] Installing MDM Server via SSH

One Star

[resolved] Installing MDM Server via SSH

Hello,
I tried to install the Talend Master Data Management (MDM) Server on a virtual Ubuntu Server, using SSH (putty.exe) on my Windows XP PC.
I followed the tutorial on http://www.talendforge.org/tutorials/tutorial.php?language=english&idTuto=59
When I tried to run the jar-file "java -jar TMDMCE-All-r47759-V4.0.3.jar" I got the below error. It seems to be necessary to have a GUI for setup the server.
Is it possible to setup the server without having a X11 interface, GUI?
java.awt.HeadlessException:
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:173)
at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:437)
at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:419)
at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:384)
at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:174)
at com.izforge.izpack.installer.GUIInstaller.loadLangPack(Unknown Source)
at com.izforge.izpack.installer.GUIInstaller.access$000(Unknown Source)
at com.izforge.izpack.installer.GUIInstaller$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:216)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:602)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:275)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:185)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:177)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:138)
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.izforge.izpack.installer.GUIInstaller.loadGUI(Unknown Source)
at com.izforge.izpack.installer.GUIInstaller.access$100(Unknown Source)
at com.izforge.izpack.installer.GUIInstaller$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:226)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:602)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:275)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:185)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:177)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:138)

Accepted Solutions
One Star

Re: [resolved] Installing MDM Server via SSH

I found a workaround myself to get the server running on Linux. I installed the MDM server on a Windows system and copied the folder to the Linux machine (using WinSCP). Then I changed the run.sh in the folder /bin "sudo chmod +x run.sh" and started the server "./run.sh".
A note for Talend.com: The installation routine has to fixed for future releases!
Now I have a new problem, the server is not reachable by the Talend MDM Client or by the Web-interface. But this is another story ...
Regards,
S. Berger

All Replies
One Star

I found a workaround myself to get the server running on Linux. I installed the MDM server on a Windows system and copied the folder to the Linux machine (using WinSCP). Then I changed the run.sh in the folder /bin "sudo chmod +x run.sh" and started the server "./run.sh".
A note for Talend.com: The installation routine has to fixed for future releases!
Now I have a new problem, the server is not reachable by the Talend MDM Client or by the Web-interface. But this is another story ...
Regards,
S. Berger
Not applicable

Had the same problem but solved it by installing ssh and vnc on the server (Ubuntu Lucid) :
sudo apt-get install openssh-server openssh-client vnc4server xinetd  vnviewer

set vnc password with
sudo vncpasswd ~/.vncpasswd

started it with
vnc4server :1 -geometry 1024x768

set a tunnel on my client (Mac OSX 10.6] in terminal
ssh -L 5901:localhost:5901 {user}@{my server ip or name}

Then I used JollysFastVNC client to connect to server on port 5901 and Bob's your mother's brother Smiley Happy
Apparently it can be done by installing an X11 server and then using ssh -x to connect but didn't need to try that.
(Information above thanks to various very helpful contributors on the internet)
As an aside JBoss tries to kick off on port 8080 so if you're already running tomcat (for say TAC) then it won't start. You need to read the wiki which has a good section on this....
Also just discovered it needs to run in background unless you want the server to stop when you log out of terminal
 sudo nohup ./run.sh &
Not applicable

Doh!
All you need to do is
java -jar {jarfile} -console

:rolleyes: