One Star

[resolved] How to install plugins?

I am new to TOS and so I am sorry if this is a stupid question but I am trying to use the Google Analytics plugin for TOS and can't find anything in the user guide or on this forum that explains how to do it.
I have copied the plugin directory to the install_dir\plugins and restarted a few times. There must be something else I need to do?
Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Four Stars

Re: [resolved] How to install plugins?

Problem is somewhat "solved" after all day of dorking around. What I eventually did was this:
1. Stumbled onto the Help / Export logs menu item, which shows a log of things that didn't work out when starting up TOS.
2. One of those things had to do with the properties file for this component - I had to remove the FAMILY entry there, and then create a section in tGSpreadsheetInput_java.xml like so:
<FAMILIES>
<FAMILY>MyStuff</FAMILY>
</FAMILIES>
3. The whole p. 22 instruction in the UG doesn't seem to do anything at all, aside from reliably raising my blood pressure.
4. So I ended up copying the tGSpreadsheetInput folder right to "C:\Talend\TOS-Win32-r63143-V4.2.2\plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_4.2.2.r63143\components", and restarted TOS and now it shows up.
Thanks for following along...
12 REPLIES
One Star

I found this...
Copy your new component folder and go to plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_3.0.0.r18993\components under install folder, paste your new folder, then restart your TOS.

from here..
http://www.talendforge.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4931
But I did this and I do not see the plugin in the palette. I checked the logs in .metadata and there was no mention of a successful installation or an error.
Community Manager

Hi
Can you show us the xml file of component? like componentName_java.xml
Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Here is it...sorry I can't figure out how to preserve the indentation.
- <COMPONENT>
- <HEADER PLATEFORM="ALL" SERIAL="" VERSION="1.3" STATUS="ALPHA" COMPATIBILITY="ALL" AUTHOR="Edouard GUERIN" RELEASE_DATE="20110420A" STARTABLE="true">
<SIGNATURE />
</HEADER>
- <FAMILIES>
<FAMILY>Internet</FAMILY>
</FAMILIES>
- <DOCUMENTATION>
<URL />
</DOCUMENTATION>
- <CONNECTORS>
<CONNECTOR CTYPE="FLOW" MAX_INPUT="0" MAX_OUTPUT="1" />
<CONNECTOR CTYPE="ITERATE" MAX_OUTPUT="1" MAX_INPUT="1" />
<CONNECTOR CTYPE="SUBJOB_OK" MAX_INPUT="1" />
<CONNECTOR CTYPE="SUBJOB_ERROR" MAX_INPUT="1" />
<CONNECTOR CTYPE="COMPONENT_OK" />
<CONNECTOR CTYPE="COMPONENT_ERROR" />
<CONNECTOR CTYPE="RUN_IF" />
</CONNECTORS>
- <PARAMETERS>
- <PARAMETER NAME="SCHEMA" FIELD="SCHEMA_TYPE" NUM_ROW="10" REQUIRED="true">
<DEFAULT />
</PARAMETER>
- <PARAMETER NAME="GOOGLE_USERNAME" FIELD="TEXT" NUM_ROW="20" REQUIRED="true" GROUP="CONNECTION">
<DEFAULT>"my.account@gmail.com"</DEFAULT>
</PARAMETER>
- <PARAMETER NAME="GOOGLE_PASSWORD" FIELD="TEXT" NUM_ROW="30" REQUIRED="true" GROUP="CONNECTION">
<DEFAULT>"secret"</DEFAULT>
</PARAMETER>
- <PARAMETER NAME="GOOGLE_PROFILE" FIELD="TEXT" NUM_ROW="40" REQUIRED="true" GROUP="CONNECTION">
<DEFAULT>"11111111"</DEFAULT>
</PARAMETER>
- <PARAMETER NAME="GOOGLE_USE_PERIOD" FIELD="CHECK" NUM_ROW="50" GROUP="OPTIONS">
<DEFAULT>true</DEFAULT>
</PARAMETER>
- <PARAMETER NAME="GOOGLE_START_DATE" FIELD="TEXT" NUM_ROW="60" GROUP="OPTIONS" SHOW_IF="GOOGLE_USE_PERIOD == 'true'">
<DEFAULT>"2011-05-15"</DEFAULT>
</PARAMETER>
- <PARAMETER NAME="GOOGLE_END_DATE" FIELD="TEXT" NUM_ROW="70" GROUP="OPTIONS" SHOW_IF="GOOGLE_USE_PERIOD == 'true'">
<DEFAULT>"2011-06-15"</DEFAULT>
</PARAMETER>
- <PARAMETER NAME="GOOGLE_SORT" FIELD="TEXT" NUM_ROW="80" GROUP="OPTIONS">
<DEFAULT>"ga:browser,gaSmiley Tongueageviews"</DEFAULT>
</PARAMETER>
- <PARAMETER NAME="GOOGLE_FILTER" FIELD="TEXT" NUM_ROW="90" GROUP="OPTIONS">
<DEFAULT>"ga:browser!@Explore"</DEFAULT>
</PARAMETER>
- <PARAMETER NAME="GOOGLE_MAX_RESULTS" FIELD="TEXT" NUM_ROW="100" GROUP="OPTIONS">
<DEFAULT>50</DEFAULT>
</PARAMETER>
- <PARAMETER NAME="GOOGLE_VALUES" FIELD="TABLE" NUM_ROW="110" NB_LINES="5" REQUIRED="true">
- <ITEMS BASED_ON_SCHEMA="true">
- <ITEM NAME="GOOGLE_TYPE" FIELD="CLOSED_LIST">
- <ITEMS DEFAULT="DIMENSION">
<ITEM NAME="DIMENSION" VALUE="DIMENSION" />
<ITEM NAME="METRIC" VALUE="METRIC" />
</ITEMS>
</ITEM>
<ITEM NAME="GOOGLE_VALUE" FIELD="TEXT" />
</ITEMS>
</PARAMETER>
</PARAMETERS>
- <ADVANCED_PARAMETERS>
- <PARAMETER NAME="GOOGLE_ACCOUNT_URL" FIELD="TEXT" NUM_ROW="10" REQUIRED="true">
<DEFAULT>"https://www.google.com/analytics/feeds/accounts/default"</DEFAULT>
</PARAMETER>
- <PARAMETER NAME="GOOGLE_DATA_URL" FIELD="TEXT" NUM_ROW="20" REQUIRED="true">
<DEFAULT>"https://www.google.com/analytics/feeds/data"</DEFAULT>
</PARAMETER>
</ADVANCED_PARAMETERS>
- <CODEGENERATION>
- <IMPORTS>
<IMPORT NAME="Google Collect" MODULE="google-collect-1.0.jar" REQUIRED="true" />
<IMPORT NAME="Google Analytics" MODULE="gdata-analytics-2.1.jar" REQUIRED="true" />
<IMPORT NAME="Google Analytics Meta" MODULE="gdata-analytics-meta-2.1.jar" REQUIRED="true" />
<IMPORT NAME="Google Core" MODULE="gdata-core-1.0.jar" REQUIRED="true" />
</IMPORTS>
</CODEGENERATION>
- <RETURNS>
- <!-- <RETURN NAME="NB_LINE" TYPE="INTEGER" AVAILABILITY="AFTER" />
-->
</RETURNS>
</COMPONENT>

I presume line 6 suggests that the component will show up in the "Internet" folder of the palette when loaded properly. I double checked there and still did not see it.
Thanks for your help.
One Star

I figured it out. The process was on page 22 of the user guide.
Employee

Thanks for the feedback BRM.
Best,
Pcoffre.
One Star

This is the information I was searching.
Thanks!!

I'm trying to do the same thing with tGSpreadsheetInput (connector for Google spreadsheet) that I found here:
http://talendforge.org/exchange/tos/extension_view.php?eid=122
In that download location, there is a note:
Compatible with: 3.0.3, 3.0.2
Tested with TIS 3.0.2 and TOS 3.0.2 and 3.0.3
Does that mean that the component cannot be used with 4.2.2?
I followed the instructions on p.22 of the UG (TalendOpenStudio_UG_42a_EN.pdf), pointing to the folder where I downloaded and unpacked the component to.
It just never seems to show up in the pallette.
Any help greatly appreciated!
Four Stars

An update:
I see that my component has been copied to:
C:\Talend\TOS-Win32-r63143-V4.2.2\plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_4.2.2.r63143\components\ext\user
(notice it's in "\components\ext\user", not "\components\user", as mentioned in http://talendforge.org/wiki/doku.php?id=component_creation wiki article)
Any thoughts? I'm new here, but I'll contribute for sure!!
Four Stars

Problem is somewhat "solved" after all day of dorking around. What I eventually did was this:
1. Stumbled onto the Help / Export logs menu item, which shows a log of things that didn't work out when starting up TOS.
2. One of those things had to do with the properties file for this component - I had to remove the FAMILY entry there, and then create a section in tGSpreadsheetInput_java.xml like so:
<FAMILIES>
<FAMILY>MyStuff</FAMILY>
</FAMILIES>
3. The whole p. 22 instruction in the UG doesn't seem to do anything at all, aside from reliably raising my blood pressure.
4. So I ended up copying the tGSpreadsheetInput folder right to "C:\Talend\TOS-Win32-r63143-V4.2.2\plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_4.2.2.r63143\components", and restarted TOS and now it shows up.
Community Manager

<FAMILIES>
<FAMILY>MyStuff</FAMILY>
</FAMILIES>

Glad to see you figure it out before my assistance!Smiley Wink
Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

An update... its an old thread but it might confuse new users who are looking for a solution. The situation described above is most likely specific to a bug in the google component. The recommended method for loading new components is explained (somewhat poorly) in the Studio Users Guide, its just hidden in a place you dont expect to find it. Find the section titled "External or User components", its in the "Getting Started/Customizing project Settings" section.
Basically the process is you put your user components in a directory somewhere. Then tell Talend Studio where they are, and it imports them into its internal directory structure. Then they appear on your palette. No need to navigate the complex intenal directory structure or restart Studio.
-curt
One Star

An update... its an old thread but it might confuse new users who are looking for a solution. The situation described above is most likely specific to a bug in the google component.

Yup, color this new user confused... until I read this last post by medio-dev.
Mainly I was thrown off by the use of the term "component" in most places, but plugin was used at some point. Also not seeing an obvious way to import a new component is what really stumped me.
Perhaps if there was a button above the component palette that would bring up the window in preferences this would be more obvious... Devs?
The recommended method for loading new components is explained (somewhat poorly) in the Studio Users Guide, its just hidden in a place you dont expect to find it. Find the section titled "External or User components", its in the "Getting Started/Customizing project Settings" section.

Even though you don't use the term "plugin" officially, even if you put it in parenthesis, like "External or User components (plugins)" I would have been able to search the User Guide and figured out I should be looking for "components" and not "plugins".
Basically the process is you put your user components in a directory somewhere. Then tell Talend Studio where they are, and it imports them into its internal directory structure. Then they appear on your palette. No need to navigate the complex intenal directory structure or restart Studio.

Thank you Curt! And YAY for community support! Smiley Happy