Talend Data Prep on MacOS High Sierra

Six Stars

Talend Data Prep on MacOS High Sierra

I downloaded the free version of Talend Data Prep as a MacOS DMG file from this website. I then dragged the application into my applications folder. When I start Talend Data Prep, the website opens in my default browser. 

There I can see the available datasets and the preparations. But when I click onto one of the datasets, or on one of the preparations or when I want to create a new preparation, I get various errors as red ballon tips on the upper right. Unfortunately the errors don't indicate what went wrong exactly. 

In the current state I can not use Talend Data Prep. 

Any idea how to solve that?

Matthias

Accepted Solutions
Employee

Re: Talend Data Prep on MacOS High Sierra

Ok so AppNap is well disabled. I don't know why you're facing this timeout, but we can try to increase his value to  work around your problem.

Could you kill your Data Preparation daemon then try to enter the following commands in your terminal, please ?

cd /Applications/Talend\ Data\ Preparation\ Free\ Desktop.app/Contents/Java
unzip Talend-DataPreparation-Free-Desktop-macos-2.5.1.jar application.properties
echo "hystrix.command.default.execution.isolation.thread.timeoutInMilliseconds=300000" >> application.properties
jar -uf Talend-DataPreparation-Free-Desktop-macos-2.5.1.jar application.properties

Then you can restart Data Preparation.

Thank you,

Nicolas

All Replies

Hi Matthias,

Can you first disable App Nap for Data Prep as indicated here https://help.talend.com/reader/mime3pPIS~faiBvVb~FT7w/b006EaGseLmCHC2Tx__deg and let me know if you still face the same issues?

Thank you,

Gwendal

Six Stars

Hi.

Now I can select an existing dataset and a new data preparation view opens. But opening an existing data preparation does not work. If I create a new data prep I still get an error. Nevertheless, the data prep will be in the list afterwards. But can't open it anyway. See screenshot.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-17 um 12.49.21.png

Can you share the log file app.log, which is in Library/Application Support/Talend/dataprep/logs/?

Assuming that the source dataset does not contain sensitive data, could you share it as well? That would allow us to reproduce.

Thank you,

Gwendal

Six Stars

Hi.

Sorry for the late reply. Please find the log attached.

Thx

Matthias

Six Stars

any idea? I uploaded the logs last week
One Star

I have the same problem. I have tried and tried, it runs a little faster if I invoke the app from the terminal, but always the same problem. 

Here is the console output:

2018-07-24 07:15:07.359 ERROR 7548 --- [tp1370856792-22] o.t.d.exception.TDPExceptionController : An error occurred

org.talend.dataprep.exception.TDPException: An unexpected error occurred and we could not complete your last operation. You can continue to use Data Preparation
at org.talend.dataprep.exception.TDPExceptionUtils.processHystrixException(TDPExceptionUtils.java:52) ~[dataprep-backend-service-2.5.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]
at org.talend.dataprep.exception.TDPException.rethrowOrWrap(TDPException.java:62) ~[dataprep-backend-service-2.5.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]
at org.talend.dataprep.exception.TDPException.rethrowOrWrap(TDPException.java:49) ~[dataprep-backend-service-2.5.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]
at rx.observables.BlockingObservable$9.onError(BlockingObservable.java:671) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.NotificationLite.accept(NotificationLite.java:149) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.observables.BlockingObservable.subscribe(BlockingObservable.java:534) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.observables.BlockingObservable.subscribe(BlockingObservable.java:663) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.observables.BlockingObservable.subscribe(BlockingObservable.java:652) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at org.talend.dataprep.command.CommandHelper.lambda$toStreaming$133(CommandHelper.java:51) ~[dataprep-backend-service-2.5.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]
at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.StreamingResponseBodyReturnValueHandler$StreamingResponseBodyTask.call(StreamingResponseBodyReturnValueHandler.java:106) ~[spring-webmvc-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.StreamingResponseBodyReturnValueHandler$StreamingResponseBodyTask.call(StreamingResponseBodyReturnValueHandler.java:93) ~[spring-webmvc-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
at org.springframework.web.context.request.async.WebAsyncManager$4.run(WebAsyncManager.java:316) ~[spring-web-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) ~[na:1.8.0_66]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) ~[na:1.8.0_66]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) ~[na:1.8.0_66]
Caused by: com.netflix.hystrix.exception.HystrixRuntimeException: PreviewAdd timed-out and no fallback available.
at com.netflix.hystrix.AbstractCommand$22.call(AbstractCommand.java:805) ~[hystrix-core-1.5.6.jar:1.5.6]
at com.netflix.hystrix.AbstractCommand$22.call(AbstractCommand.java:790) ~[hystrix-core-1.5.6.jar:1.5.6]
at rx.internal.operators.OperatorOnErrorResumeNextViaFunction$4.onError(OperatorOnErrorResumeNextViaFunction.java:140) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeDoOnEach$DoOnEachSubscriber.onError(OnSubscribeDoOnEach.java:87) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeDoOnEach$DoOnEachSubscriber.onError(OnSubscribeDoOnEach.java:87) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at com.netflix.hystrix.AbstractCommand$DeprecatedOnFallbackHookApplication$1.onError(AbstractCommand.java:1451) ~[hystrix-core-1.5.6.jar:1.5.6]
at com.netflix.hystrix.AbstractCommand$FallbackHookApplication$1.onError(AbstractCommand.java:1376) ~[hystrix-core-1.5.6.jar:1.5.6]
at rx.observers.Subscribers$5.onError(Subscribers.java:230) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeThrow.call(OnSubscribeThrow.java:44) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeThrow.call(OnSubscribeThrow.java:28) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.Observable.unsafeSubscribe(Observable.java:10150) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeDefer.call(OnSubscribeDefer.java:51) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeDefer.call(OnSubscribeDefer.java:35) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.Observable.unsafeSubscribe(Observable.java:10150) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeDoOnEach.call(OnSubscribeDoOnEach.java:41) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeDoOnEach.call(OnSubscribeDoOnEach.java:30) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeLift.call(OnSubscribeLift.java:48) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeLift.call(OnSubscribeLift.java:30) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeLift.call(OnSubscribeLift.java:48) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeLift.call(OnSubscribeLift.java:30) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeDoOnEach.call(OnSubscribeDoOnEach.java:41) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeDoOnEach.call(OnSubscribeDoOnEach.java:30) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at rx.internal.operators.OperatorOnErrorResumeNextViaFunction$4.onError(OperatorOnErrorResumeNextViaFunction.java:142) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
at com.netflix.hystrix.AbstractCommand$HystrixObservableTimeoutOperator$1.run(AbstractCommand.java:1121) ~[hystrix-core-1.5.6.jar:1.5.6]
at com.netflix.hystrix.strategy.concurrency.HystrixContextRunnable$1.call(HystrixContextRunnable.java:41) ~[hystrix-core-1.5.6.jar:1.5.6]
at com.netflix.hystrix.strategy.concurrency.HystrixContextRunnable$1.call(HystrixContextRunnable.java:37) ~[hystrix-core-1.5.6.jar:1.5.6]
at com.netflix.hystrix.strategy.concurrency.HystrixContextRunnable.run(HystrixContextRunnable.java:57) ~[hystrix-core-1.5.6.jar:1.5.6]
at com.netflix.hystrix.AbstractCommand$HystrixObservableTimeoutOperator$2.tick(AbstractCommand.java:1138) ~[hystrix-core-1.5.6.jar:1.5.6]
at com.netflix.hystrix.util.HystrixTimer$1.run(HystrixTimer.java:99) ~[hystrix-core-1.5.6.jar:1.5.6]
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) ~[na:1.8.0_66]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:308) ~[na:1.8.0_66]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) ~[na:1.8.0_66]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:294) ~[na:1.8.0_66]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) ~[na:1.8.0_66]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) ~[na:1.8.0_66]
... 1 common frames omitted
Caused by: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: null
at com.netflix.hystrix.AbstractCommand.handleTimeoutViaFallback(AbstractCommand.java:980) ~[hystrix-core-1.5.6.jar:1.5.6]
at com.netflix.hystrix.AbstractCommand.access$500(AbstractCommand.java:59) ~[hystrix-core-1.5.6.jar:1.5.6]
at com.netflix.hystrix.AbstractCommand$12.call(AbstractCommand.java:595) ~[hystrix-core-1.5.6.jar:1.5.6]
at com.netflix.hystrix.AbstractCommand$12.call(AbstractCommand.java:587) ~[hystrix-core-1.5.6.jar:1.5.6]
at rx.internal.operators.OperatorOnErrorResumeNextViaFunction$4.onError(OperatorOnErrorResumeNextViaFunction.java:140) ~[rxjava-1.1.9.jar:1.1.9]
... 15 common frames omitted

Employee

Hi Matthias,

I'm able to reproduce your issue, but only if I re-enable the AppNap functionality. Could you please tell me what you get if you enter the following command in you terminal ?

defaults read org.talend.dataprep NSAppSleepDisabled

Thank you,

Nicolas

Six Stars

Output on the terminal is: 1
Employee

Ok so AppNap is well disabled. I don't know why you're facing this timeout, but we can try to increase his value to  work around your problem.

Could you kill your Data Preparation daemon then try to enter the following commands in your terminal, please ?

cd /Applications/Talend\ Data\ Preparation\ Free\ Desktop.app/Contents/Java
unzip Talend-DataPreparation-Free-Desktop-macos-2.5.1.jar application.properties
echo "hystrix.command.default.execution.isolation.thread.timeoutInMilliseconds=300000" >> application.properties
jar -uf Talend-DataPreparation-Free-Desktop-macos-2.5.1.jar application.properties

Then you can restart Data Preparation.

Thank you,

Nicolas

Six Stars

1. Why do you think it’s the nap-timeout?
  2. How to kill the deamon? In the MacOS activity monitor I don't see any running Talend process.

Matthias

Employee

AppNap seem to be disabled on you Mac, so your issue is not here.

The commands I've gave to you in my last reply are here to increase the hystrix timeout. We're treating the symptoms, but this could help you to use TDP while we investigate on the root cause.

For you second question, you can just right click / Quit the app in the dock.

Regards,

Six Stars

I did executed the commands and DataPrep works fine now. I tested uploading, renaming and deleting datasets as well as creating, editing and modifying preparations.
Employee

Great, thank you for your feedback. I will open a bug on our side to investigate on the root cause.

Regards,

Nicolas

Employee

Hi mikkelking,

Did you tried this solution ? : https://community.talend.com/t5/Installing-and-Upgrading/Talend-Data-Prep-on-MacOS-High-Sierra/m-p/1...

Regards,

Nicolas