One Star

TOSDI 5.6.2 Java Reguirements

I'm setting up a POC using the following environment:
Talend Open Studio for Data Integration
Version: 5.6.2
Build id: V5.6.2_20150508_1414
System Version: OS X 10.10.3 (14D136)
Kernel Version: Darwin 14.3.0
Can someone please tell me how Talend decides which version of Java it is going to use.
I downloaded and unzipped the archive for TALEND, but when I tried to run the application, I was told that I needed to install a legacy version of Java 6 and pointed to the apple site.  This particular version of Java that apple installed is no longer supported.  Talend seems to be running, at least partially.
I'm having a similar problem to this one:
I can't connect to the exchange and I'm getting the same error.
I'm afraid that installing the legacy java version has messed up some of the other java applications that I use.  Is there an Oracle Java distribution that TALEND can use?
Regards,
Kurt

Re: TOSDI 5.6.2 Java Reguirements

Hi,
Please take a look at document about:https://help.talend.com/search/all?query=Compatible+Platforms+and+Java+environments&content-lang=en.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Thank you Sabrina! I've read the document you suggested, and now I have a few more questions and maybe a bug or potential change that I think should be made.
According to 
Compatible Platforms and Java environments
I should be using the Oracle Java JDK 7 which is fine, that is one of the JDKs that I have installed:
Kurts-Mac-mini:~ kandrews$ cd /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/
Kurts-Mac-mini:JavaVirtualMachines kandrews$ ls -la
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  136 May 13 07:34 .
drwxrwxr-x  5 root  wheel  170 May 14 20:46 ..
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Nov 12  2013 jdk1.7.0_45.jdk
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 May 13 07:34 jdk1.8.0_45.jdk
Kurts-Mac-mini:JavaVirtualMachines kandrews$ 
The bug/change that I think should be made is to correct the Talend installation to recommend the Oracle JDK 7 and link to the appropriate download site instead of stating that the legacy JDK from Apple is required and pointing to the Apple support download for their JDK 6.
I've changed the java interpreter setting in preferences/talend to:
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_45.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java
but the detailed configuration for the IDE still shows the following references to Apple's JDK 6

java.awt.graphicsenv=apple.awt.CGraphicsEnvironment
java.awt.printerjob=apple.awt.CPrinterJob
java.class.path=/Users/kandrews/Downloads/TOS_DI-20150508_1414-V5.6.2/TOS_DI-macosx-cocoa.app/Contents/MacOS/../../../plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar
java.class.version=50.0
java.endorsed.dirs=/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/endorsed
java.ext.dirs=/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/ext
java.home=/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
java.io.tmpdir=/var/folders/_k/qmr0q6fs63df3fcrndmzyfnr0000gn/T/
java.library.path=.:/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java
java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
java.runtime.version=1.6.0_65-b14-466.1-11M4716
java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.specification.version=1.6
java.vendor=Apple Inc.
java.vendor.url=
java.vendor.url.bug=
java.version=1.6.0_65
java.vm.info=mixed mode
java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.vm.specification.version=1.0
java.vm.vendor=Apple Inc.
java.vm.version=20.65-b04-466.1

How do I go about changing the java configuration above to use JDK 7?  Is it safe to remove Apple's JDK 6?  Also, I'm new to the community.  How do I report the issue with the Talend installer.
Here is the version and build information for the TOSDI that I'm working with: Version: 5.6.2; Build id: V5.6.2_20150508_1414.

Hi,

What's your OS? Have you tried to uninstall Apple's JDK 6 and install oracle JDK7 instead to see if it works?
For bug, new feature or work item issue, please feel free to post your issue on Talend Bug Tracker:https://jira.talendforge.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

No I haven't tried uninstalling Apples JDK 6 yet because the Talend install asked for it, and the Java configuration still seems to point to it, in spite of changing the Java Interpreter setting in preferences.  
I had the two versions of the Oracle JDK (7 & 8) installed before I added Apples JDK 6 to get Talend to install.  I'll try removing it and get back to you, but I expect Talend to break...
Regards,
Kurt
One Star

Hi Sabrine,
the anser is both quite simple and somewhat hard to find: Java 7 has to me modified in order for Talend to recognize and use.
See (v10.10) users 
Once that has been done, Talend will automagically start to use Java 7 (even if Apple's Java 6 is installed) for Talend Studio itself.
You should, however, check the Java JDKs and Runtimes configured within Talend Studio.
Regards, Reiner