Four Stars

Support for Custom Component

Hi,

I downloaded a custom component from Talend Forge tUnpivotRow.

Now before I move my job to Production,  I have a few questions on the author and support for this component. 

1. I could not find much about the author and support for this component.

2. What will be required when I want to upgrade my product new version?

I see a lot of people and Talend Documentation suggesting this component.

Thanks.

Jyoti

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Seventeen Stars

Re: Support for Custom Component

It is a problem of Talend which does not require at least some basic thinks like a reachable person or company and also some checks about the compatibility or even a source repository. This is sad.

Yes, you should just before you use a custom component and rely on it get in contact with the author and take care he/she is active in development or maintaining the component. Talend unfortunately does not do anything this way.

By the way, I do this for all of my components published in Exchange and will continue doing so.

To your second question: mostly you will not have problems updating your project to a newer Talend version. It is supposed to have a check of your jobs in the new release - only for sure to avoid a surprise.

1 REPLY
Seventeen Stars

Re: Support for Custom Component

It is a problem of Talend which does not require at least some basic thinks like a reachable person or company and also some checks about the compatibility or even a source repository. This is sad.

Yes, you should just before you use a custom component and rely on it get in contact with the author and take care he/she is active in development or maintaining the component. Talend unfortunately does not do anything this way.

By the way, I do this for all of my components published in Exchange and will continue doing so.

To your second question: mostly you will not have problems updating your project to a newer Talend version. It is supposed to have a check of your jobs in the new release - only for sure to avoid a surprise.