One Star

New User - Oracle Connection Failure

Hi -
I am new to TOS and am hoping someone can point out what I have missed in the documentation and forums.
I have been unable to create a database connection in TOS v3.0.2 to any of our Oracle databases (both v8.1.7 and v10.0.2). I can connect and explore schemas from TOP and standard Oracle tools but TOS consistently fails with "Io exception: Socket is not connected". I have reinstalled TOS but the problem persists.
I have used both the FQDN and IP address for the host along with double quotes around the text values.
The typical entry in the error log is:
!ENTRY org.talend.libraries 4 0 2008-12-23 09:24:03.359
!MESSAGE 2008-12-23 09:24:03,359 ERROR org.talend.commons.exception.ExceptionHandler - Io exception: Socket is not connected
!STACK 0
java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Socket is not connected
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:125)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:162)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:274)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.logon(T4CConnection.java:319)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.(PhysicalConnection.java:344)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.(T4CConnection.java:148)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CDriverExtension.getConnection(T4CDriverExtension.java:32)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:545)
at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataUtils.connect(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.testConnection(Unknown Source)
I would appreciate any help that can be offered.
Thanks!

• Talend Studio
28 REPLIES
Employee

Re: New User - Oracle Connection Failure

Hi,
You have to remove the double quotes character in the Wizard.
For Login, Password, Server, Database, etc...
Double quotes are importants in components properties; but it occurs troubles if you use with our Metadata Database wizard.
Best regards;
One Star

Hi Cantoine,
I tried originally to define the database connection without using the double quotes. When doing so I immediately get a slightly different error:
"Io exception: The Network Adapter could not estblish the connection"
I remain baffled by this as I can make a connection to this same database using the same properties using the Talend Open Profiler product.
I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I should proceed.
Thanks!
Employee

Hi,
What is your Oracle version ?
In the Database wizard, did you choose the correct version for your oracle database ?
Best regards;
One Star

Hi,
I have tried to connect to both an Oracle 8.1.7 instance using the Oracle 8 driver in the wizard, and a version 10.2 instance using the Oracle 10 driver in the wizard. The error is the same.
Thank you for your continued interest.
Employee

Hi,
Have you tried with 'SID' and 'Service name' connection method?
Do you have no trouble to connect to your Oracle with your Oracle client?
Are you sure that your Oracle machine allow remote connection ? multiple simultaneous connections ?
Best regards.
One Star

Hi,
Yes, I have tried both methods. I can connect to the databases using TOAD and the Talend Open Profiler. The Oracle servers in questions already allow multiple, remote connections.
Thanks!
One Star

I am having the same exact problem as kpjim. I can connect with sql developer, sql plus etc but not with TOS. I have tried different things and get the same messages.
Is there a solution for this issue?
Thanks,
SY
One Star

Can someone with knowledge of both Talend Open Profiler (TOP) and Talend Open Studio (TOS) explain the difference between their Oracle access methods? The fact that I can connect to multiple Oracle databases with TOP but not TOS suggests that the two products use different libraries/methods and that the solution to this problem is in those differences.
Thanks!
One Star

When I try a straight oracle connection with either SID or service name nothing works. I tried removing the domain name and I got a socket error message instead of the
"Io exception: The Network Adapter could not estblish the connection". I too can connect with TOP and sqldeveloper etc but not with TOS. I am hoping for a solution soon...
One Star

Just installed TOS and am getting this same message. Can we can an update on this?
One Star

My results are the same as posted above. Have tried:
10g SID
10g ServiceName
General jdbc-with ojdbc14.jar selected and oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.
Also as others, SQL Plus connects as does Eclipse/j2ee.
Please let me know when a fix is in. Thanks.
One Star

This problem is corrected in TOS v 3.0.3 and was apparently related "to a too long ping response in the metadata manager/component."
One Star

This problem is corrected in TOS v 3.0.3 and was apparently related "to a too long ping response in the metadata manager/component."

I download today version 3.0.3 and I am having the same problem mention above
Employee

In case of your connection in the repository comes from an imported project, could you try to recreate the Connection in the repository?
One Star

I have the same problem with Oracle 11G R2 and TOS 3.0.2.
I am working connected through a VPN to my office.
Philippe
One Star

Hi...
If I am not wrong. TOS 3.0.2 is having some problem in connective database. I was unable to connect to datbase (Oracle 10g). I downloaded TOS 3.0.3. Its working.
Hope its helpful.
-
sangi
One Star

Hello,
I used TOS 3.0.4 and TOS 3.0.5 but I have similar problem.
I can connect to my database (Oracle 10 with service name) with TOAD or other software, but with TOS often I get this message:
Exception in component tOracleConnection_3
java.sql.SQLException: Eccezione IO: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:112)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:146)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:255)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.logon(T4CConnection.java:387)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.(PhysicalConnection.java:441)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.(T4CConnection.java:165)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CDriverExtension.getConnection(T4CDriverExtension.java:35)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:801)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
I say OFTEN because sometimes the connection works! But I really don't know why. Is there any way to setup the connection timeout? I tried from Preferences->Talend->Sql Builder but it seems that it doesn't work.
Community Manager

Hello
I used TOS 3.0.4 and TOS 3.0.5 but I have similar problem.

3.0 version is a little old. please download load the latest and stable version TOS3.1.4.
Did you try to connect oracle with sid?
Best regards

shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Thanks for your quick reaction.
I tried to download 3.1.4, but with branch 3.1.x (we tried also with 3.1.1) we have a problem with component tContextLoad, that is unfortunately used in all our jobs.
For this db, unfortunately we must connect with service name.
There are two instances of this db (in 2 different servers) because it is a load balanced one. But with a generic oracle client we can connect with both instances without problems.
The strange thing is that sometimes it works. I think it could be a connection timeout problem. Where can I modifiy (if possible) the connection timeout?
Regards.
Community Manager

Hello
About tContextLoad component, please read the user documentation, there is a demo.
About connection timeout, you can go to Window--.Preference--.talend-->Performance and set the connectin timeout time or uncheck this option.
If it is still no use, download the latest version or update the JDBC jar.
Best regards

shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Hello,
Finally, we tried changing connection configuration as you suggested (using SID instead of Service Name) and it worked well!!!
Before, we tried changing jdbc driver and upgrading to 3.1.4 but without success (however now we can appreciate your latest version 3.1.4.... we found a simple workaround for the different behaviour of tContextLoad component in 3.1.x branch).
many thanks for your precious help!
Best Regards.
One Star

Beginner user of Talend OpenStudio here with similar / the same problem as above: Oracle service connection successful with other clients (for example SQL Developer from Oracle) but not w/Talend tOracleConnect component. We have made multiple Oracle SID connections to other databases via tOracleConnect.
We need to be able to connect to this Oracle instance as a *service*, and to connect to Oracle services generally. This particular source is a large scale enterprise DB. Getting it made available as a SID is non-trivial. We are also pursuing multiple (dozens) of integrations with Oracle sources or destinations while the organization is moving over time to make all Oracle resources available as Services, so the inability to connect to Services will hurt us badly.
I'm pretty sure I'm missing something basic here.

Tech Environment:
- Talend 3.2.0 (I see not changes to the Oracle connect component associated with 3.2.1)
- JDK 1.6.0_16 (from Sun.)
- All "thin" drivers (No OCI).
- Oracle InstantClient also installed on client machine.
- Client is Windows XP, current patch level.
- Going after the "spare" in a hot-standby configuration of an 10.x or 11.x Oracle DB - we're getting that last bit defined

Component Configurations:
We are configuring the connection component directly, *not* using a metadata item. Some of the things I've tried within OpenStudio ...
- Accept entries from existing "tsnames.ora" file. This works with SQL Developer and fails with the Talend component.
- Configuring the componenet by hand (no tnsnames.ora) the job won't build without quotes around the configuration items- reports symbols that won't resolve.
- Configuring the component by hand, (no tnsnames.ora) the job with quotes around the configuration items will build. ("With quotes" configuration in third screen shot.)
- Jobs that build report at run time a "service not available" initial error:
" connecting to socket on port 3577
connected Exception in component tOracleConnection_1
java.sql.SQLRecoverableException: ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress ..."
The service is there. I think this is a more general "failure to register" thing, misreported. Looking for guidance on what to investigate first. I can't post screen shots of the actual credentials here.
OpenStudio Investigations:
- Can I make OpenStudio dump the JDBC driver it's binding the component to? Or where to find that? There are multiples installed on this client machine.
- Can I make OpenStudio or the component dump the connect string it is outputting?
- Can I back into determining which one it is using, if necessary by removing drivers until the job fails differently.
Brodder Investigations:
- Logging from the JDBC driver to see the *exact* connect string being presented from the OpenStudio generated job?
- Ditto to see the client apps using the driver. Possibly load information from the JVM will do this. Theory is maybe SQL Developer and Talend are using different drivers & there's a problem with one.
- There are some reports in the wild of version-dependent errors in theoretically compatible Oracle JDBC drivers & Oracle server versions in the 10x / 11x generations.)
I can't be the only person who's having this issue. Any help appreciated.
One Star

shong explained what to do in order to get Oracle connections to work
About connection timeout, you can go to Window / Preferences ... / Talend / Performance and set the connection timeout time or uncheck this option.

Running TOS 3.2.2 and trying to connect to Oracle 10g, I unchecked the "Activate the Timeout for the Database Connection" preference option, and then my Oracle connections worked fine, either as a SID or a service.
Before I unchecked that option, I consistently got immediate connection failures as follows:
"Connection Failure. You must change the Database Settings."
The details said:
"Io exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection."
So, if you can't connect to oracle, uncheck "Activate the Timeout for the Database Connection"
One Star

Still no luck even if I unchecked it. By the way, I was able to connect locally in my XE. Although I can connect to external DB using SQL developer/TOAD. this is one is really tough.. any help from you guys is much appreciated.
Thanks... God Bless...
One Star

In the Database wizard, did you choose the correct version for your oracle database ?
One Star

I have error to connect with database
at oracle.jdbc.driver.SQLStateMapping.newSQLException(SQLStateMapping.java:74)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.newSQLException(DatabaseError.java:131)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:204)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:455)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:413)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8Oall.receive(T4C8Oall.java:1034)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.doOall8(T4CStatement.java:183)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.executeForRows(T4CStatement.java:942)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:1222)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeUpdateInternal(OracleStatement.java:1706)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeUpdate(OracleStatement.java:1674)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatementWrapper.executeUpdate(OracleStatementWrapper.java:275)
One Star

Hi -
I am new to TOS and am hoping someone can point out what I have missed in the documentation and forums.
I have been unable to create a database connection in TOS v3.0.2 to any of our Oracle databases (both v8.1.7 and v10.0.2). I can connect and explore schemas from TOP and standard Oracle tools but TOS consistently fails with "Io exception: Socket is not connected". I have reinstalled TOS but the problem persists.
I have used both the FQDN and IP address for the host along with double quotes around the text values.
The typical entry in the error log is:
!ENTRY org.talend.libraries 4 0 2008-12-23 09:24:03.359
!MESSAGE 2008-12-23 09:24:03,359 ERROR org.talend.commons.exception.ExceptionHandler - Io exception: Socket is not connected
!STACK 0
java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Socket is not connected
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:125)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:162)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:274)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.logon(T4CConnection.java:319)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.(PhysicalConnection.java:344)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.(T4CConnection.java:148)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CDriverExtension.getConnection(T4CDriverExtension.java:32)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:545)
at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataUtils.connect(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.testConnection(Unknown Source)
I would appreciate any help that can be offered.
Thanks!
One Star Mo
One Star

I have the same error, no matter what I do I get the Network adapter error, however I can connect normally using Toad and Squirrel. Any help?