MSSQL Developer edition - can not connect

hi,
i am trying to connect to a MSSQL 2005 (dev edition) on a XP64.
i did check if it was running and accepting remote connection, even the firewall is turn off, on this virtual machine.
i have used nmap from my linux (where i am using talend) to check if port 1433 was open, and it register as open.
but when trying to connect with talend i get an error message stating:
UNABLE TO GET INFORMATION FROM SQL SERVER: <pc ip number>
here is the string of connection:
jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://172.16.68.30:1433/ETL;instance=sql2k5

any idea on how to work around this??
thanks
Nicolas
3 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: MSSQL Developer edition - can not connect

Hello Nicolas
Maybe this page can help you!!
Best regards

shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business

thanks,
it had to do with the browser service not been enabled by surprise - as the default installation does not accept remote connection (why would it - it is only a DB server?!).
everything is fine after setting the SQL browser service to automatic and starting it first time.
here is the information that fixed:
http://jtds.sourceforge.net/faq.html
Why do I get a java.sql.SQLException: "Unable to get information from SQL Server" when trying to connect to an SQL Server instance?
The exception you are getting is usually caused by a timeout. When connecting to named instances jTDS needs to connect via UDP to port 1434 to get information about available SQL Server instances. While doing this it times out, throwing the exception you see (which means that jTDS was not able to get information about the running instances).
Connection timeouts occur when there is no server listening on the port (BTW, are you sure your SQL Server is configured to use TCP/IP and that you actually use named instances?).
On SQL Server 2005 the SQL Browser service must be running on the server host as the instance name lookup port UDP 1434 is hosted by this service on SQL Server 2005 rather than the SQL Server itself. The default install does not configure the SQL Browser service to start automatically so you must do it manually.
One Star

Hello,
I'm experiencing this problem too. Does this mean that we need 1434 AND 1433 opened up on our firewall? We've tried opening up both but not at the same time.
I have to also check with my DBA whether the SQL Browser service is running.
Would appreciate an answer on the ports please Smiley Happy
Thanks,
Tom