One Star vik
One Star

Error "Unable to find User" encountered upgrading from 3.x to 4.x

Error "Unable to find User" encountered upgrading from 3.1.3 to TIS_TE-All-r43696-V4.0.2 and not able to connect to the new server that I installed.
Started with new server installation instead of upgrading the existing one to keep as backup.
Details: Centos server with Tomcat running under root, CommandLine and TalendJobServer also running under root.
I am able to bring up talend administrator, upgrade license key, see jobs in jobs in the list change authorization to a different user.
Note: For upgrade we went from 4user license to 2 user license so had to change authorization.
When tried to connect to Talend server, cannot log in and the error is Error "Unable to find User". See screen attached.
Note: Also for some reason, when I try to log in talend administrator of the old server(with 3.1.3), it only shows me one account settings and nothing else. No jobs and, No configuration or license feature to edit in administrator.
I have spent a 2 days working on this and error "Unable to find User" does not lead me anywhere.
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Vik
4 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Error "Unable to find User" encountered upgrading from 3.x to 4.x

Hello
and not able to connect to the new server that I installed.
Started with new server installation instead of upgrading the existing one to keep as backup.

Can you tell me how do you upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4.0.2? Open the table 'user' of database of TAC and see how many users you have defined.(see my screenshot)
Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star vik
One Star

Hi Shong,
Thanks for your reply and time.
I see 4 users but the e_version seems to have changed. See the attached images for before and after.
When reading one of your post, I saw another much simpler approach to export and import the jobs into the new version. (wish I read it before my ordeal).
1. So made a working copy from the svn with a previous (before the start of any changes) revision.
2. Started 4.0 studio locally and did import items and pointed to the working copy.
3. Now atleast it seems I have most of the older stuff, so thought let me do a fresh installation and just import.
Then, I took another route to make sure that the new server is working i.e. I created a empty database and connected to it as you would do the during the first time setting up of Talend Administrator Center.
1. Created Empty DB (MSSQL)
2. Created new empty SVN location
3. Logged into TAC with admin@company.com\admin
4. Created another user.
5. Created a new project on TAC.
6. Assigned authorization on the new user.
7. Tried to connect with new user, Still getting the same error.
Am I missing anything in the Centos/Tomcat 6.0.29 - MSSQL, TAC, CommoandLine, TalendJobServer? How can I double check?
Should I just delete contents of workspace directory or commandline-workspace directory and start again or just go with new CommandLine and try it that way?
Will keep you all posted.
Thanks.
Vik
One Star vik
One Star

I just could not get error on logon in linux installation, to go, so started out again from scratch on a windows server and upgraded to 4.02. We went from 4 users to 2 users, so even after entering the license, the TAC did not allow me to change and see anything, so created a small script to reassign the user reference to user2 from users 3 and 4, and then delete the users 3 &4. I am not sure if its the perfect way to do it. But so far its been ok. Also, once in TAC, deleted the user 3 and 4 authorizations from the jobs and assigned to user2.
PLEASE USE THE SCRIPT AT YOUR DISCRETION AFTER CHANGING THE PARAMETERS/VALUES.
update userprojectauthorization
set userprojectauthorization_user_e_id = 2
where userprojectauthorization_user_e_id >3
update project
set user_author_e_id = 2
where user_author_e_id >3
delete from
where id >3
Thanks Vik
Community Manager

Hi
7. Tried to connect with new user, Still getting the same error.

You have done a new installation of TAC(Talend Administrator Center), BUT you still get the same error, you need to remove the workspace of TIS Studio or reinstall TIS studio.
I just could not get error on logon in linux installation, to go, so started out again from scratch on a windows server and upgraded to 4.02

I don't know how do you upgrade to V4.0.2. Here is the steps I used to upgrade to new version. Let's say I want to upgrade from v3.2.2 to v4.0.2:
1. Export SVN repostiory, and backup it.
2. Export TAC database, and backup it.
3. Install the new Talend Studio 4.0.2.
4. Open the CommandLine, cd into the installation folder of Talend Studio 4.0.2.
5. Execute the following command to upgrade TAC database from v3.2.2 to v4.0.2.
TISEE-win32-x86.exe -nosplash -application org.talend.repository.databaseprovider.DatabaseSchemaMigration -consoleLog -data migration-workspace jdbc:mysql://10.42.0.10:3306/database_name username password
// Here username and password is the connection username and password of database.
// TISEE-win32-x86.exe is the Talend application launcher, if you are using TDQ, it can be TalendDataQuality-win32-x86.exe.
6. Install the new TAC 4.0.2.
7. Open the TAC login page, go to the db configuration page, configure the db parameters to the existing database v3.2.2(which I have upgraded in step 5), and set a new license.
8. To now, you have finished upgrading Talend Enterprise Data Integration.

Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business