One Star

CommandLine "Job Generation Folder"

I used the auto installer for Talend Studio Pro 5.2.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2. A few pieces didn't seem to work as expected.
Looking at TAC under configuration, autoinstall made the Port for command line 8003 and gave me red exclamation points, I changed that to 8002 and it seems to work - turned to green checkmarks.
But it also asks for Job generation folder, which the installer filled in as c:/talend/commandLine/exports - that folder doesn't exist. And I can't find documentation for what it wants - is it just any existing directory, or it will create a directory when it needs it?
And what goes in "User component path" - the installer left that empty.
Thanks.
Levin
6 REPLIES
One Star

Re: CommandLine "Job Generation Folder"

I was wrong: the installer set up commandline/primary with reasonable looking values and gave all green checks. It set up commandline/secondary pointing to port 8003 on the TAC server machine - documentation doesn't say anything about "commandline/secondary" - is it normally not used?
Is job generation folder just any folder that the account running the web service will have read/write/delete access too?
One Star

Bump.
In TAC, under "Configuration" I am getting a red exclamation point by Job Generation Folder and the message
"ArchivePath cannot be empty". Job Generation Folder is filled into an existing folder. 5.2.1 The Enterprise_Dataintegration Installation guide doesn't mention these settings at all.
Community Manager

Hi Levinm,
Can you file a ticket to the support portal by sending an email to customercare@talend.com including your full license key, please?
In parallel, we're checking if the installation documentation should be updated or maybe clarified. But note that all configuration information is gathered in Talend Administration Center User Guide. Have you checked this guide?
One Star

Hi Levinm,
Can you file a ticket to the support portal by sending an email to customercare@talend.com including your full license key, please?
In parallel, we're checking if the installation documentation should be updated or maybe clarified. But note that all configuration information is gathered in Talend Administration Center User Guide. Have you checked this guide?

Good suggestion, and no, I hadn't checked. But now that I did, the docs on page 48, 3.7.3 seem to be saying nothing more than that the dialog boxes should be filled in - they say you can set the "Archive path," but there's no parameter called that. However, it does sound like "Job generation folder" is probably the same as "Archive path", can you tell if that's true?
I'll open a ticket on OTRS but seems best to put the answers here for sake of future customers.
Thanks
Levin
Community Manager

Thanks for your feedback.
We will check what the user guide says regarding those fields or if there is a typo in the book, we will correct it for the next release. And I will post here the answer
Elisa
Employee

Hi Levinm,
"Archive path" is indeed the same as "Job generation folder", we may refer to it as "archive path" in our documentation because the folder is used to store the .zip files holding your Jobs, but I'll check and try to make this clearer.
This is what I understand (someone can correct me if I'm wrong):
As explained in the TAC User Guide (see section Setting up the CommandLines' parameters in THC:
https://help.talend.com/search/all?query=Configuring+Talend+Administration+Center&content-lang=en), you need to enter manually a path to the folder where the Jobs generated by the CommandLine will be stored (by default, the folder called "exports" is created in C:\Talend\CommandLine).
You can use two CommandLines to generate your tasks (note that these CommandLines are not necessarily on the same machine) and you can also set two different paths to different archive folders (= the tasks generated by 1st CommandLine can be stored in a folder A, while the tasks generated by the 2d CommandLine can be stored in a folder B), this can be defined in the Configuration page.
All generated tasks stored in these folders (A and B) are retrieved by the Job Conductor during their execution, and the tasks as well as their execution logs are stored in another archive folder which you can define in the "Archive and execution logs path" field of the Job Conductor node (Configuration page). This folder is also important because you can retrieve its content (all generated tasks) when you migrate from a previous to a newer version.
I hope that answered your questions,
Laureline