Six Stars

CPU usage while running talend project

Hi All,

We are facing issue while running one specific project the cpu usage comes up to 100% and it doesnt comes down until the job completes execution.

Can anyone please let me know the reason behind this and help me with it?

Thanking you in advance.

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES
Six Stars

Re: CPU usage while running talend project

This is probably caused by the components in the project.

Can you post a screenshot of the job, so we can help you?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you like my answer, please accept it as solution and send some kudos
Five Stars

From our experience, on a windows server, with some jobs I'd suggest that you look in Task Manager and see if it is one of the java processes taking all the CPU. If it is then increase the java memory for the specific job. We found that some 'bounced the limit' and then started to hog CPU but giving them a bit more java memory enabled them to run very quickly and not hog CPU.
We do have a revisit to the jobs on the 'to do' list to see if we can reduce the amount of memory they need but the 'instant' fix is more java memory for the 'problem' jobs.

Six Stars

Thanks saukema and Bill_Lane,

Yes this might be the case as we have not tried by increasing the memory .

But the job also hangs to execute Can that be the case for the same?

Five Stars

Sorry Pooja_kataria I'm not sure what you mean by 'hangs to execute'. I suspect it is a translation issue.

Six Stars

Hi Bill_Lane,

I meant sometimes the job while running as  standalone job hangs in between and doesnt process further. Due to which the CPU usage goes 100% and also one thing is we have used parallel execution in the job.Let me know if you still confused with my question

Thanks !

Five Stars

Ah right, when the Java memory is too small we think, that Talend starts paging the memory and seems to tie its self up in doing that while doing very little of the job and using 100% cpu. As I say, for us, in these cases just using the 'JVM Parameters' tab for the job and adding '-Xmx####M', where #### is the amount of memory in mega bites to add, fixes the issue. As far as we can tell this happens for us when the job retrieves a large amount of data and then has to do some other processing with the data. Our DB is on another machine.