Backward/Forward compatibility

One Star

Backward/Forward compatibility

Hi,
I was wondering how easy is it to move to a lower and higher version. I am taking a backup of all projects (not entire workspace that includes .java, ..JETEmitters) to a folder separate from Talend Installation folder. Still I wonder if the backup will be useful in future should we need it. Today I tested this by downgrading to r90681-V5.1.2 from r90320-V5.2.0. After installation when I pointed to the workspace (created using 5.2.0) it gave me this error:
My question is should we be aware of some know issues while migrating to either a higher or lower version ? What exactly should be backed up?
=====ERROR from workspace/.metadata/.bak_0.log ============
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl$1DiagnosticWrappedException: org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.FeatureNotFoundException: Feature 'migrationTask' not found. (platform:/resource/TESTPROJ/talend.project, 313, 162)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.handleDemandLoadException(ResourceSetImpl.java:315)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.demandLoadHelper(ResourceSetImpl.java:274)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.getResource(ResourceSetImpl.java:397)
at org.talend.core.repository.utils.XmiResourceManager.loadProject(XmiResourceManager.java:105)
Caused by: org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.FeatureNotFoundException: Feature 'migrationTask' not found. (platform:/resource/TESTPROJ/talend.project, 313, 162)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.impl.XMLHandler.reportUnknownFeature(XMLHandler.java:1991)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.impl.XMLHandler.handleUnknownFeature(XMLHandler.java:1955)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.impl.XMIHandler.handleUnknownFeature(XMIHandler.java:151)
... 29 more
Seven Stars

Re: Backward/Forward compatibility

You cannot generally downgrade. To upgrade you can just import the projects directly from your old workspace to your new workspace. I don't recommend pointing the new version at the old workspace.
To backup, you should login to the project, right-click any repository item, select Export Items and export all to a zip.

What’s New for Talend Spring ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Watch

Downloads and Trials

Test drive Talend's enterprise products.

Downloads

Definitive Guide to Data Integration

Practical steps to developing your data integration strategy.

Download