Backward/Forward compatibility

One Star

Backward/Forward compatibility

Hi,
I was wondering how easy is it to move to a lower and higher version. I am taking a backup of all projects (not entire workspace that includes .java, ..JETEmitters) to a folder separate from Talend Installation folder. Still I wonder if the backup will be useful in future should we need it. Today I tested this by downgrading to r90681-V5.1.2 from r90320-V5.2.0. After installation when I pointed to the workspace (created using 5.2.0) it gave me this error:
My question is should we be aware of some know issues while migrating to either a higher or lower version ? What exactly should be backed up?
=====ERROR from workspace/.metadata/.bak_0.log ============
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl$1DiagnosticWrappedException: org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.FeatureNotFoundException: Feature 'migrationTask' not found. (platform:/resource/TESTPROJ/talend.project, 313, 162)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.handleDemandLoadException(ResourceSetImpl.java:315)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.demandLoadHelper(ResourceSetImpl.java:274)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.getResource(ResourceSetImpl.java:397)
at org.talend.core.repository.utils.XmiResourceManager.loadProject(XmiResourceManager.java:105)
Caused by: org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.FeatureNotFoundException: Feature 'migrationTask' not found. (platform:/resource/TESTPROJ/talend.project, 313, 162)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.impl.XMLHandler.reportUnknownFeature(XMLHandler.java:1991)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.impl.XMLHandler.handleUnknownFeature(XMLHandler.java:1955)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.impl.XMIHandler.handleUnknownFeature(XMIHandler.java:151)
... 29 more
Seven Stars

Re: Backward/Forward compatibility

You cannot generally downgrade. To upgrade you can just import the projects directly from your old workspace to your new workspace. I don't recommend pointing the new version at the old workspace.
To backup, you should login to the project, right-click any repository item, select Export Items and export all to a zip.