Getting Talend Open Studio internet connected in a corporate environment

Five Stars

Getting Talend Open Studio internet connected in a corporate environment

This is not a question. This is an answer  to a very specific case - if you are behind a domain integrated HTTP/HTTPS proxy that insists in intercepting the HTTPS traffic. And a small comment on security. This particular experience is from Talend 7.0.

It starts with:

Network is unavailable, please fix it.

Except... it is fully available as far as you know... You quickly find that you need a proxy configured. But it does not work. Talend stays stubbornly offline.

That is because the studio at startup tries to access talend.com over https and if it fails... well, you MUST be offline... Had to go read sourcecode on github for that bit of wisdom.

First clue can be  found in workspace\.metadata\.log

There will be a bunch of SSL certificate chain validation errors for maven if the proxy is configured right. That's because your employer insists reading your ssl traffic and thus has substituted the certificate with a chain of it's own. 

Security note - there will also be your proxy password in plain text. Not a good thing if it is also your domain password...

So what you can do about the SSL errors? If you do not have control over the jvm... not much. but if you do... you can import the naughty intercept CAs into java cacert store with keytool like so:

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_162>.\bin\keytool -keystore jre\lib\security\cacerts -importcert -alias aliasforca -file "c:\tmp\cacert.cer"
Enter keystore password:
Certificate was added to keystore

the password is changeit in all java installs.

you may wonder where I got the certs... well you can browse to site and see/export the cert chain used. And hey presto. It works. 

Enjoy this small bit of wisdom Smiley Happy

Tags (2)

Re: Getting Talend Open Studio internet connected in a corporate environment

Hello,

Thanks for sharing it on forum.

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

@thade

It will be very helpful if you can also detail out the process to export the certificate too, I dont have any experience in that space and from your response its not clear from which site you exported the certificate.

Five Stars

you need to open talend.com in browser(ie works), click on cert info see and export the cer files.
Four Stars

@thade wrote:

This is not a question. This is an answer  to a very specific case - if you are behind a domain integrated HTTP/HTTPS proxy that insists in intercepting the HTTPS traffic. And a small comment on security. This particular experience is from Talend 7.0.

It starts with:

Network is unavailable, please fix it.

Except... it is fully available as far as you know... You quickly find that you need a proxy configured. But it does not work. Talend stays stubbornly offline.

That is because the studio at startup tries to access talend.com over https and if it fails... well, you MUST be offline... Had to go read sourcecode on github for that bit of wisdom.

First clue can be  found in workspace\.metadata\.log

There will be a bunch of SSL certificate chain validation errors for maven if the proxy is configured right. That's because your employer insists reading your ssl traffic and thus has substituted the certificate with a chain of it's own. 

Security note - there will also be your proxy password in plain text. Not a good thing if it is also your domain password...

So what you can do about the SSL errors? If you do not have control over the jvm... not much. but if you do... you can import the naughty intercept CAs into java cacert store with keytool like so:

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_162>.\bin\keytool -keystore jre\lib\security\cacerts -importcert -alias aliasforca -file "c:\tmp\cacert.cer"
Enter keystore password:
Certificate was added to keystore

the password is changeit in all java installs.

you may wonder where I got the certs... well you can browse to site and see/export the cert chain used. And hey presto. It works. 

Enjoy this small bit of wisdom Smiley Happy

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? The corporate cert should be imported into the store correct? The "-keystore" parameter doesn't appear to be valid so I removed it and was able to add the certificate but still get the error.

Two Stars

I am having a similar issue. Not sure if its exactly the same. Is there anyway you guys can provide a more detailed explanation on thi?. It seems like Talend should have the ability to connect behind a firewall. I don't really get why it would be that difficult to do. Generally when installing packages with python or R or anything else you just have to put in the proxy. I tried editing the proxy in the network connection preferences and it doesn't let me do anything in there and it doesn't even give you an error that tells you what the problem is its just has an X. Any help would be appreciated.

Five Stars

You need to set the proxy to "manual" from drop-down above to set anything there. 

Two Stars

Yeah I tried changing to manual. Still just gives the X so I don't really know what the problem is.

Error.jpg

Two Stars

Okay I figured it out actually. I was using the dark theme and the errors were not showing because of that. Talend Devs should fix that. So I was able to configure the proxy and connect pretty easily after being able to see the error message. All I had to do was put in the proxy that my company uses.

Hello @iamauser,

What's OS are you using?About your dark theme issue, have you already created a workitem jira issue on talend bug tracker?

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.