whole project context management

One Star

whole project context management

Hi,
I have been struggling now for many hours trying to get a project containing many jobs into a use-able form outside of Talend Studio. I am able to define contexts and variables. I can run individual jobs made of many jobs but it all seems cumbersome when I want to export to script.
-I do not quite understand what is the difference between project level contexts and job-level contexts?
-Why are context getting copied all over the place when I apply a project-level context to a job?
-Are there some best practices for using contexts at a project-wide level?
-How do people out there manage testing individual contexts within one job vs. testing a chain of jobs where you want to apply the same context all steps of a job?
Florian
Community Manager

Re: whole project context management

Hello Florian
I do not quite understand what is the difference between project level contexts and job-level contexts?

The context variable on project level can be used in different jobs, the context variable on job-level can only be used within one job.
So, if you wanna use the same context varialbe in different jobs, you should define the global variables on project-level, then import them into a job on job-level.
Why are context getting copied all over the place when I apply a project-level context to a job?

Sorry, I can't get what you mean...
Best regards

shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Re: whole project context management

florian,
Context variable management, across many job flows and projects can be somewhat redundant. I would imagine that the paid version of TOS solves some of these issues on a more global scale.
To make managing this easier, I created a database table to hold my context variables. It has just three fields, Job Name, Var Name, Var Value. I then tDB...Input to select my context variables for the job, returning just the Var Name & Var Value and send those to a tContextLoad.
You still need to define the context variables - but managing them from one central location (the table) for all jobs makes it a whole lot easier.