Five Stars

utf8mb4 configuration tmysql

Hi, 

I have been trying for days to insert data such smileys, data from all languages into mysql through talend.

The source is sql server and target mysql.

If I use the 'Set Names utf8mb4' in mysql and run my insert statements, the data is successfully inserted. (Ex - ハウス, is inserted correctly)

However, if I set the  'Set Names utf8mb4'  in additional parameters, it just does not work (ハウス is inserted as ???)

As of now, its tmssqlinput - tmysqlbulkoutputexec

Any idea on how to solve this?

12 REPLIES
Eight Stars

Re: utf8mb4 configuration tmysql

Hi.

I am not sure if I am correct, but By default in Talend is used UTF-8 not UTF-8MB4. I think. you need to convert the text to UTF8MB4.

See e.g. this thread:

https://community.talend.com/t5/Design-and-Development/Encoding-UTF-8-and-ISO-8859/td-p/23158

Hope it helps.

Regards

Lojdr

Five Stars

Yes Lojdr. That's my question precisely. Where do I put the statement 'set names utf8mb4'
Eight Stars

"set names utf8mb4" is related to the connection so in Additional JDBC Parameters as character_set_connection.

Five Stars

So, in the additional setting I must include character_set_connection = utf8mb4. What about the other character settings for MySQL which must be set to utf8mb4?

Eight Stars

Character set for table definition or at least for the specific column.

Five Stars

Hi, this does not work for me until I set the character connection ,server connection to utf8mb4.

The tables and columns are already in utf8mb4

So , I am using the set names utf8mb4, which I am unable to use in taken

Eight Stars

Have you converted the string you are sending to the database to the URF8MB4 encoding?

Five Stars

I'm using tmssqlinput. How do I convert the string here to utf8mb4. In the additional parameters of tmssqlinput I have included character encoding = utf8mb4

And, also in tmysqlputput I have included in the additional parameters set names utf8mb4

But, these don't work when the incoming string has a emoji

Eight Stars

I gave you a link to an example how to convert strings from one encoding to another in Talend in my first post. Sorry, I can't help you more.

Five Stars

I have gone through the link you have sent me in your previous posts lojdr. But, I couldn't find any solution there

Anyways, thank you for posting your thoughts

Eight Stars

There is a post from @rhall_2_0 where he showed how to transform text from one encoding to another with tJava. Use that.

Five Stars

The problem was with MySQL version. The tmysqlbulkoutputexec works for mysql 5.6 but not the same with 5.7

I guess the handling of utf8 in  tmysqlbulkoutputexec is different for mysql 5.6 and 5.7