Four Stars

tWaitForFile doesn't work as expected on UNIX

Hi,

I created a simple job using 'tWaitForFile' and 'tFileCopy'. The file watcher is set to run infinitely and iterate every 10 seconds. If matching file arrives in the directory, the file gets copied to destination directory using 'tFileCopy'. This job is working as expected on Windows. 

Upon deploying this job to UNIX env and executing the ".sh" file, the job doesn't even pick the file from the directory. The 'ps' command shows the job is running continuously as expected. Can anyone help in this regard?

Thanks

• Data Integration
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleven Stars TRF
Eleven Stars

Re: tWaitForFile doesn't work as expected on UNIX

As you have introduced a tInfiniteLoop you may also replace tWaitForFile by tFileExists (if you know the name) or tFileList. You should have the expected result.

TRF
15 REPLIES
Eleven Stars TRF
Eleven Stars

Hi,
Something about the permissions for the source/target folder or the file itself?

TRF
Four Stars

There are no permission issues on either the folder and files. I am placing the file manually in the source directory and then expecting this job to do the rest.

Eleven Stars TRF
Eleven Stars

Double check the permissions for the target folder.
Also, try to trace the file pathname at the différent steps.

TRF
Four Stars

I created another job without 'tWaitForFile' component to make sure there's no permission issue. The file gets copied into the target directory successfully.

Eleven Stars TRF
Eleven Stars

Can you share the component configuration? Maybe a problem with file mask or the source folder path.
Else, perhaps Talend guys will be most inspired.

TRF
Four Stars

PFA

Eleven Stars TRF
Eleven Stars

Hum... seems to be a $1,000,000 question!

TRF
Four Stars

Is this something to do with Open Studio Vs Enterprise edition? I read somewhere over web that trigger functionality is available only in Enterprise edition.

Eleven Stars TRF
Eleven Stars

Based on the documentation there is no limitation for this component https://help.talend.com/reader/hm5FaPiiOP31nUYHph0JwQ/9NaCQViWaqc8tnoxlpM6HA
What you have on the Enterprise edition is the capability to start a job as soon a file is detected.
Maybe Sabrina @xdshi could help on this topic

TRF
Four Stars

Meanwhile, I was trying another approach as tinfiniteloop -> twaitforfile -> tCopyFile (on Windows)

The moment I manually copy the file in the source directory, the job fails with the following error:

image.pngimage.png

The basic setting for

1. tinfiniteloop "Wait at each iteration = 1000ms"

2. twaitforfile "Time between iterations = 1s", "Max number of iterations = 1" and "Trigger action when - a file is created". The file mask is "*.txt".

Any idea what would cause this error?

Eleven Stars TRF
Eleven Stars

Can you share the tfilecopy configuration?

TRF
Four Stars

image.png

Eleven Stars TRF
Eleven Stars

Well, I can't try for the moment.
What if you change the delay of tInfiniteLoop for example to 1300ms?

TRF
Eleven Stars TRF
Eleven Stars

As you have introduced a tInfiniteLoop you may also replace tWaitForFile by tFileExists (if you know the name) or tFileList. You should have the expected result.

TRF
Four Stars

Thanks, it worked using tFileList approach.