Six Stars

tSystem -- Does Anyone Know how to Reuse A tSystem Session?

Hi,

When I call the tSystem component and use it in a flow, I think that it probably opens a session with the OS, runs the command, and then closes the session for each row. 

Does anyone know if it is possible to keep the session with the OS open so that a process using tSystem might run faster?

Thanks,

Croix

2 REPLIES
Twelve Stars TRF
Twelve Stars

Re: tSystem -- Does Anyone Know how to Reuse A tSystem Session?

Hi,

I'm afraid you cannot reuse the "connection" from one tSystem call to another.

However, are you able to estimate the cost to renew the "connection" at  each call?

For that, you may have a test with an "empty" command for an estimation of the call cost.

You may also try to run the same command with the same parameters from the OS the get the operation net cost whithout any "connection" cost.

Hope this helps.

TRF
Six Stars

Re: tSystem -- Does Anyone Know how to Reuse A tSystem Session?

Hi there,

If your job isn't reliant on anything returned by the tSystem component, then you could simply build a batch/shell script (using a tOutputFileRaw) in your job, outputting the commands you need to execute in each iteration, and then executing this script with a single tSystem at the end of your job.

If you require anything returned by the tSystem at each iteration, then there's probably little that can be done to improve the situation.

Regards,

Chris