tStatCatcher statistics causing nullpointerexception within parallel execution (it uses HashMap within Threads)

Four Stars

tStatCatcher statistics causing nullpointerexception within parallel execution (it uses HashMap within Threads)

I'm finding that some of my talend DI jobs are failing with a nullpointerexception at random times. Looking a the line of code failing, it is the tStatCatcher addMessage method being called to record the duration of the job, like the following example:

tStatCatcher_1.addMessage("end","tFileTouch_4", end_Hash.get("tFileTouch_4")-start_Hash.get("tFileTouch_4"));

This only happens on components that happen to be within a parallel executed iteration flow (e.g. I'm running four at a time )

e.g.

image.png

I capture the exception as part of the tStatCatcher framework

This is the exception message:

java.lang.RuntimeException:Child job running failed.
java.lang.NullPointerException
at reporting_etl.etl_con_job_0_1.etl_con_job$1tFileTouch_4Thread.run(etl_con_job.java:6737)
at routines.system.ThreadPoolWorker.runIt(TalendThreadPool.java:159)
at routines.system.ThreadPoolWorker.runWork(TalendThreadPool.java:150)
at routines.system.ThreadPoolWorker.access$0(TalendThreadPool.java:145)
at routines.system.ThreadPoolWorker$1.run(TalendThreadPool.java:122)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

line 6737 is that addMessage method call above

I've noticed that Talend use a HashMap for putting and getting tStatCatcher messages, which is not thread safe and as this is in a parallel execution (threaded) then I'm assuming that it's a threading issue with the Talend Generated code, this combined with the fact that it is randomly happening leads me to believe that they should be using a Concurrent HashMap.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do here, shall I raise a bug, or is there a work around for this?

Kind regards

Re: tStatCatcher statistics causing nullpointerexception within parallel execution (it uses HashMap within Threads)

Hello,

Could you please clarify in which Talend version/edition you are?

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Four Stars

Re: tStatCatcher statistics causing nullpointerexception within parallel execution (it uses HashMap within Threads)

Hi, I'm using 

Talend Open Studio for Data Integration

Version: 6.4.1

What’s New for Talend Spring ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Definitive Guide to Data Quality

Create systems and workflow to manage clean data ingestion and data transformation.

Download

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Watch

Downloads and Trials

Test drive Talend's enterprise products.

Downloads