tRunJob and Child Context. unwanted-behavior or by-design?

Seven Stars

tRunJob and Child Context. unwanted-behavior or by-design?

Hi,

speaking about tRunJob Component, with "Transmit whole context" deselected I expect Child Job using their own values, Original or Custom that are, but when Custom Values are selected (in the Child Job) they are even ignored and the Child Job run with their default values.
This means that when I customise the value of a context parameter in the Child Job, and I want this impact any its execution, I have to change it also in any tRunJob component appointed to run the Child Job.

Furthermore, the 'context' parameter (designed to specify within which context the Child Job should run) is 'hard-coded' in the Parent Job, so it cannot depend to on which environment the job has been deployed.
It is not so good, in my opinion (as far as I know contexts are designed to adapt jobs to different environments), and I think we should able to set the "context" as "parent context", in someway.

Thank you,
Lorenzo

(Talend version: 6.2)

Community Manager

Re: tRunJob and Child Context. unwanted-behavior or by-design?

Hi Lorenzo
Use 'transmit whole context' feature, the variable name should be the same in both main job and child job, and custom values should be set from main job. 
About context parameter, you can only specify the context of main job when running the job, all the dependency child jobs will the be same environment.
Regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 4

Pick up some tips and tricks with Context Variables

Blog

How Media Organizations Achieved Success with Data Integration

Learn how media organizations have achieved success with Data Integration

Read

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Watch