tMap Variables: can't check for null values

One Star

tMap Variables: can't check for null values

I discovered today this strange issue: IMHO it is related with the "nullable" variables feature, that I guess was introduced in TOS 3.1.2

The problem is that I can't check against input DBfield nulliness inside variables section: I can only discard them with expression filters.
Infact In my migration job I "build up" a String variable formed by a concatenation of all possible fatal errors (null field, invalid values, etc.) and my expression filter only check this variable: its length has to be 0 for the record to be accepted and written out on csv (tOraclebulkexec).

Well, if a field is null, I can detect it with both input or output filter, but it seems impossible to find it out INSIDE tMap variables. I also tried using the new "nullable" checkbox, near the variable type combobox, but nothing changes...

"strerrors" variable declaration (type String ):
Relational.ISNULL(inputrow.AVV_DTSPE1)?"DATCOMUNICAZ is null!! - ":""
"strerrors" value is always "" (empty String), despite of inputrow.AVV_DTSPE1 value.

I somehow suspect this to be a 3.1.3 related bug, as I can't remember the error on previous version and I didn't change the job and because I can't even remember that "nullable" checkbox, that is not documented on User Manual.
Why the 3.1.2 version has been tagged as production stable ? Smiley Very Happy
Community Manager

Re: tMap Variables: can't check for null values

Hello
Relational.ISNULL(inputrow.AVV_DTSPE1)?"DATCOMUNICAZ is null!! - ":""
"strerrors" value is always "" (empty String), despite of inputrow.AVV_DTSPE1 value.

I have tested the metho ISNULL() and it works fine. Are you sure inputrow.AVV_DTSPE1 have some null value, not empty string?
Best regards

shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Re: tMap Variables: can't check for null values

I found the problem I was concatenating a null value with an empty string so that the value was never null.

Thank you for reply