tLogRow improvement (or replacement).

One Star

tLogRow improvement (or replacement).

Hi everybody,
I was just thinking about the tLogRow enhancement. Let me explain :
I'm currently debugging my jobs with some tLogRow components everywhere.
My problem is that, sometimes, the row name is important for components. For example, in a tJavaRow component, the output and output row names are defined in the code.
Adding a tLogRow before or after this kind of component means that you must rename the row names (from rowXXX to your old row name) or rename them in the tJavaRow code (replace your old row name by the new rowXX name).
Moreover, my tLogRow components are temporary, just for debugging time, so I need to remove them, and re-rename everything everywhere....
I thought about 2 solutions :
1 - Either the renaming mechanism should be automatic while adding a tLogRow between components.
2 - Either we should be able to log a row directly in the row parameters (not using a tLogRow).
My preferred solution would be the second one (ability to log a row on the row parameters).
Maybe there are some side effects, let's discuss about... that's why the community exists !!
But actually one of this two solutions could save me some hours !!
Thanks a lot !
One Star

Re: tLogRow improvement (or replacement).

Hi,
isn't it possible to use input_row and output_row in tJavaRow? So in this case you should not have any problem. But for tMap it is for example.
I use tLogRow often the same way as you, but it wasn't such a problem for me to do so. But adding a debug flag at the row would be a good enhancement.
By the way: Great and good for general use would be to create a branch from the link. Like an integrated tReplicate! This wouldn't be limited to debugging purposes.
Example: You would open the context menu from the row and get an option "create branch" or "replicate" or anything else. Now a new brunch from the graphical row line will be created and you are able to connect a second component.
Cons:
a) layout would be more complex
b) the columns of the row is actual modified at the components (I do so). In this case you could change the row at one component and this may have side effects on more than one other component.
Bye
Volker
One Star

'input_row" and "output_row" is the default name when you use the 'generate code' button, even if the input/output row have another name.
So you still have to rename the rows, or change the generated code...
But your idea to enhance the row 'right click' behaviour is great. It's a third solution that I didn't think about.
I'd love to see an automatic replicate directly from the row, so I can put my tLogRow (or any other component, temporary or not) with this kind of replication everywhere without renaming anything.
The new 'replicated' row will have the standard 'rowXXX' name, that's OK, but the problem is with the initial replicated row that will be cut in two parts, so the row names will be changed...
The problem will remain with components that care about row names (such as tJavaRow, input for tMap...).
In fact, it depends on the enhancement appearance :
1 - Automatic tReplicate component insertion : from one row between two components, we will have three rows between input/replicate, replicate/output1 and replicate output2.
2 - New replication system (without 'real' replicate component)... which means that (almost) every component will be able to have multiple 'main' output rows.
The second solution will save the original names for components that care about row names.

PS (or EDIT) : In fact, I've just understood (and discovered) what you're saying about the output_row/input_row behaviour with tJavaRow...
The generated code displayed in the tJavaRow parameters always displays input_row and output_row but the generated code is following the real row names...
I always use to rename the input/output row names in this tJavaRow generated code, so once they're renamed, names become important !!
So all the time I spent renaming the code or the rows was a silly waste of time... arghhhh !!! Thanks for the tip...
(why this generated code doesn't take the real row names ? It's a bit confusing ?!?)
Employee

(why this generated code doesn't take the real row names ? It's a bit confusing ?!?)

Because it's really more annoying to change all the tJavaRow code when you just change your component input or output....
One Star

You're right ! (It's the story of the snake eating its tail ! french proverb quote...)
One Star

one is compound of a tRowGenerator and a tLogRow, the second one is the tSendMail. ... TOS provide the enhancement connectors for some special cases.
Cisco ccna exam simulator with FREE CCNA Certification lab.