Six Stars

tGoogleConnection and the refresh token

Using the following documentation I have been able to connect to a google drive account. I understand the token is set to expire after 3600 seconds and according to the google developers oauth 2.0 playground. "The OAuth Playground does not store refresh tokens"

Can someone explain the purpose of the refresh token and whether it can be used as the "access token" for the tGoogleConnection component as a way to overcome the expiration of the access token?

3 REPLIES
Eleven Stars

Re: tGoogleConnection and the refresh token

I wrote a tutorial about this a while ago (https://www.rilhia.com/tutorials/using-oauth-20-talend-access-google-apis). Take a look. It may help you out with a process to use the Refresh Token.

Rilhia Solutions
Six Stars

So the refresh token is a way to authorise requests for new authentication tokens to the selected google api not itself an authentication token for that api?
Eleven Stars

Essentially, yes. It is useful to you since once you have carried out the first authentication you do not need to go through the process that requires a human again. However you must keep the Refresh Token and your other credentials secret.

Rilhia Solutions