One Star

tFileInputExcel Empty

I have a problem with the tFileInputExcel component.
When I wan to input an Excel file, this one is empty for Talend.
I work on Talend Open Studio for Data Integration (6.2.1.20160704_1411) and Excel 2016.
Of course, the Excel file in input is not empty.
Have you a solution ?
13 REPLIES
Seventeen Stars

Re: tFileInputExcel Empty

Show us your excel file structure and the settings of the component. Only with your few words we cannot spot the problem.
Did you have created a meta data structure for your excel file? I suggest you start with that because here you see first test results.
One Star

Thank you for your answer.
I have this problem with all Excel files that I try to input in Talend. So, I think it's more a software or component problem.
When I try to creat an excel file in the meta data, when i want to see preview, the file is empty too.
Seventeen Stars

I can ensure you the excel metadata wizard works well as well as the components. Are you sure you have real excel files and not something which is labeled as excel and not really an excel file?
One Star

I resolve in part my problem with this component.
Talend didn't load tFileInputExcel in the good folder.
Some projects are running without problem now. But for some others, I have this type of error (from this component too) :
"Type mismatch : cannot convert from element type Sheet to XSSFSheet"
Seventeen Stars

What? "Talend didn't load tFileInputExcel in the good folder" 
What is a good folder and what has Talend to do which folder you choose?
Perhaps you are trying to load an xls instead of xlsx?
One Star

I tried to copy the tFileInputExcel from setup folder of Talend to a new folder. And after that in preferences, I selected this new folder as "User component folder". By doing this, it corrected the "Type mismatch : cannot convert from element type Sheet to XSSFSheet" error, but it created my first problem (File empty, from my first post).
No I try to load an xlsx file. This job run normally from other computer.
Seventeen Stars

What are you doing??? User Component Folder in the studio preferences? This is NOT a folder for your files, it is a folder to add talend components. Do not pollute this folder with your files, this can lead to unexpected behaviour.
It is quite unclear what you have done and where your problem is.
One Star

Alright,
I will try to be more clear, but Talend is new for me.
Forget what I tell you previously. 
I try to run on my computer some jobs that have been created by a colleague on his computer.
He has no problem with these jobs from his computer. 
I imported them (Import Items menu). But when I try to run them. I see this error ("Type mismatch : cannot convert from element type Sheet to XSSFSheet").
I just try to open Xlsx file (the case for this type of file is checked in basic settings of the component).
Is it more clear ?
One Star

this looks like a bug in tFileExcelxxxx, 
if I use tFileInputExcel in my job alone, it works.
if i add a sequence of tFileExcelxxxx (for another file) in the same job, I get : "Type mismatch : cannot convert from element type Sheet to XSSFSheet"
Seventeen Stars

Yes, this is a Bug. The problem here is an outdated library which ships with Talend. My components uses an recent library. Actually it is not a problem - unfortunately Talend has used an deprecated API call. 
https://jira.talendforge.org/browse/TDI-37823
I have already provided a patch (checkout the pull request in the ticket description). Perhaps you apply this patch to your Open Studio or if you have an enterprise edition, ask the support for it.
One Star

Thank you jlolling, 
I see you tested the patch with 6.x.y, do you think it works with Talend 5.5.1 ? 
Seventeen Stars

I think so. Talend has not changed these components for a long time.
By the way, I recommend to migrate to 6.3.1 - it is stable and you should not let become the gap between the versions to big - perhaps the migration does not work anymore!
One Star

Jlolling,
I confirm migration to 6.3.1 went well .
Thanks