One Star

tConvertType changes the value of date fields when parsing string

Environment:

Talend Enterprise Big Data (5.4.1.r111943)
jdk 1.6.0_45
Windows 7

Problem description:
I'm using the tConvertType component to parse a string from a source database into a Date object. Depending on what data format string I use, the value of the date is changed.
I recreated this issue in a simple job to show the problem in isolation. I've attached the job here as example.zip and screenshots highlighting the important areas as example_screenshots.png.

example.zip_20150908-1933.zip

As shown in example.zip, the input is the string "2014-10-09T14:58:34359699Z" but the output is "2015-11-11T07:19:39" when the format string "yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss" is used. 
The field date_2 holds a second copy of the same input string and shows that it is preserved when the format string "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss" is used. 

Secondary issue
When the format string "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss" is used (attempting to work around the problem), strings not matching the format string throw a NumberFormatException. For example, for the string "string", Talend attempts to parse the first 4 characters "stri" as the year. The result is the message below (table from a tLogRow attached to the tConvertType rejects output).  This seems inconsistent with the behaviour I've seen before where the row would be sent to rejects without raising an unhandled exception.

java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "stri"
at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)
at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:449)
at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:499)
at routines.system.FastDateParser$DateTimeParser.parse(FastDateParser.java:206)
at java.text.DateFormat.parse(DateFormat.java:335)
at routines.TalendDate.parseDate(TalendDate.java:809)
at routines.system.TypeConvert.String2Date(TypeConvert.java:4117)
at pdwserver.test_brokendateformat_0_1.test_brokenDateFormat.tFixedFlowInput_1Process(test_brokenDateFormat.java:1190)
at pdwserver.test_brokendateformat_0_1.test_brokenDateFormat.runJobInTOS(test_brokenDateFormat.java:1724)
at pdwserver.test_brokendateformat_0_1.test_brokenDateFormat.main(test_brokenDateFormat.java:1589)
.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|                                    #1. tLogRow_2                                     |
+--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| key          | value                                                                 |
+--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| date         | 2015-11-11T07:19:39                                                   |
| date_2       | null                                                                  |
| errorCode    | 2                                                                     |
| errorMessage | date_2:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: "string" - Line: 0 |
1 REPLY

Re: tConvertType changes the value of date fields when parsing string

Hi,
Java does not support six and only support the millisecond sss.
If you want to show six, write SSSSSS and the other will be Auto completed with  "000".
For example, the input is:
17-APR-12 07.42.57.811804 AM
output:
17-APR-12 07.42.57.811000 AM

Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.