Six Stars

source data language translation into English

I have a scenario below and it would be great if anybody share the solution for the same here.

Scenario:

I have a source file having two columns which contain customer name and customer address, this I need to load this into database. But here the twist is, customer address values are in French language. I need to convert the customer address into English language and load into Target.

If anybody knows the solution, please share with me.

7 REPLIES

Re: source data language translation into English

Hello,

In talend, here is a TalendHelpCenter:tTransliterate component which can convert strings from many languages of the world to a standard set of characters (Universal Coded Character Set, UCS). 

Note:translisteration is not the same as translation.

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Twelve Stars

This seems like an odd request. Why would you translate an address?

For example, a street in Paris called "Rue des Rosiers" would translate to "Street of the Rosiers". This is not the address. The name of a street would not be the "name" to a local or even a tourist. Maybe I am misunderstanding, but it seems like a weird requirement.

However, you could achieve this by using Google Translate (their API would be easy to use) or maybe even their geocoding API, but I strongly suspect that it would keep the addresses in the language of their location.

Rilhia Solutions
Seventeen Stars

What about web services like this:

https://cloud.google.com/translate/docs/samples

Six Stars

Six Stars

Hi Rhall,

Thanks for the reply.

The address column which I mentioned in my query is an example. Let say some source systems from Japan, they saved the data in Japanese, we need to load this into target system in English. So as per my knowledge this is an expected scenario.

Could you please guide me to use Google API in Talend.

Thanks in advance.

Twelve Stars

You will need to use REST services to do this. @jlolling has provided a link to the documentation. Using Google's APIs with Talend for the first time can be a bit tricky, but it is worth struggling through with it. Once you understand it, you will find using Google's APIs much easier. Come back here if you have specific questions about how to do this.

Rilhia Solutions
Six Stars

Thanks Rhall!