Not applicable

[resolved] unable to connect to MS SQL server

Hello I have a laptop on which MS SQL server 2012 is installed
the name of the server is INFOCREST-SERVE\ALIHIJAZI
I want to create DB connection metadata, yet I always get connection failure in Talend though I'm sure I'm supplying the correct login credentials
please advise the port is by default 1433 is this value correct?
is there anything I have to install first to be able to connect to SQL server?
the details of the error shows:Unknown server host name "INFOCREST-SERVE\ALIHIJAZI"
17 REPLIES

Re: [resolved] unable to connect to MS SQL server

Hi,
Have you tried to put "localhost" into your DB server name to see if it works?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Not applicable

Hi,
Have you tried to put "localhost" into your DB server name to see if it works?
Best regards
Sabrina

yes but still it didn't work
I was thinking is it because I'm running the 32-bit Talend? (TOS_DI-win32-x86) 
knowing that my laptop has Windows 8 64-bit 
Please advise

Hi,
Is your JDK 32 bit? You should run TOS_DI-win-x86_64.exe on 64 bit OS. Can you successfully connect to your local MSSQL DB through client without using Talend Tool?
Have you tried to use component to achieve it? (tMSSqlConnection) Could you please show us your DB connection setting screenshot?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Not applicable

Hi,
Is your JDK 32 bit? You should run TOS_DI-win-x86_64.exe on 64 bit OS. Can you successfully connect to your local MSSQL DB through client without using Talend Tool?
Have you tried to use component to achieve it? (tMSSqlConnection) Could you please show us your DB connection setting screenshot?
Best regards
Sabrina

Hello
thank you for your prompt replies
well Yes I'm able to connect successfully to my local MSSQL database from SQL Management Studio and from other BI tool (QlikView)
My JDK is 64 bit and I already set the path to  it in Windows->Preferences->Java->Installed JREs

Hi,
On which build version you got this issue? Have you tried to use TOS_DI-win-x86_64.exe? Can you use tMSSqlConnection component to connect to your DB successfully?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Not applicable

Hi,
On which build version you got this issue? Have you tried to use TOS_DI-win-x86_64.exe? Can you use tMSSqlConnection component to connect to your DB successfully?
Best regards
Sabrina

I got this on both TOS_DI-win-x86_64.exe and TOS_DI-win32-x86.exe

Hi,
Are you using Talend 6.1 version? Did you get the same error when use tMSSqlConnection component to connect to your DB?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Not applicable

Hi,
Best regards
Sabrina

I added the tMSSqlConnection and configured it but I got errors when I run the job

Not applicable

Hi,
Are you using Talend 6.1 version? Did you get the same error when use tMSSqlConnection component to connect to your DB?
Best regards
Sabrina

yes version 6.1
I attached the errors I got when using tMSSqlconnection component
Not applicable

Hi,
Best regards
Sabrina

it seems like it is unable to compile because the server name contains "\"?
INFOCREST-SERVE\ALIHIJAZI
could this be the problem?
Not applicable

Hi,
Best regards
Sabrina

can you read my previous replies on this thread?

Hi,

You got the same issue when use localhost instead, didn't you? We made a testing for v 6.1 on our side and it works.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Not applicable

Hi,

You got the same issue when use localhost instead, didn't you? We made a testing for v 6.1 on our side and it works.
Best regards
Sabrina

when I put localhost I get connection refused error (check image)

Not applicable

Hi,

Best regards
Sabrina
55433/mini_1.png_20160114-1051.png

when I put INFOCREST-SERVE\ALIHIJAZI I get an error message saying:
Unknown host name INFOCREST-SERVE\ALIHIJAZI

Hi,
To use a MSSQL named instance in TOS, you only put the server name in the host field. 
The instance name  should go in the Additional Parameters field. 
Login: yourDBlogin
Password: yourDBpwd
Server: INFOCREST-SERVE
Port: 1433
Database: yourdbname
Schema: dbo
Additional Parameters: instance=ALIHIJAZI
Let us know if it is OK with you.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Not applicable

Hi,
To use a MSSQL named instance in TOS, you only put the server name in the host field. 
The instance name  should go in the Additional Parameters field. 
Login: yourDBlogin
Password: yourDBpwd
Server: INFOCREST-SERVE
Port: 1433
Database: yourdbname
Schema: dbo
Additional Parameters: instance=ALIHIJAZI
Let us know if it is OK with you.
Best regards
Sabrina

oh yeah!!
it works
thank you very much indeed for your prompt replies and support
you are awesome!!

Hi,
Great it is fixed. Could you please click the "Set this topic as resolved" link which is right underneath your initial post? This way, other users will be informed that this thread has been resolved.

Best regards
Sabrina
--