[resolved] special characters in field names - CSV file using hyphen "-" header

One Star

[resolved] special characters in field names - CSV file using hyphen "-" header

Excuse the first time user question, but I have fallen at the first hurdle creating my first job.
The output CSV file needs specific header column names such as "first-name"; I cannot change this. When I define this in Talend it changes the field in the schema to "first_name" (underscore not hyphen) and i cannot seem to override or escape this.
Help.
Thanks
Si

Accepted Solutions
One Star

Re: [resolved] special characters in field names - CSV file using hyphen "-" header

OK - searching further suggests that tUnite does not guarantee the field order on the output.
Change this to be a job for the header and a sub-job activated after the header job to append the data.
Sigh.
Si

All Replies
Community Manager

Re: [resolved] special characters in field names - CSV file using hyphen "-" header

Hi
Talend don't support the special characters like hyphen "-" in the column name.
Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Thanks for the quick reply,
OK but then there must be a solution?
Lets say I put the header row in another file and then combine the output rows with that row to the output file - then I get the header coloumn names I want?
Cheers
Si
One Star

OK - Now I have tried using tUnite to combine the data with a file containing the header row (with illegal characters) and that works fine except no matter how I set the tUnite merge order it always comes out the wrong way.
Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Cheers
Si
One Star

OK - searching further suggests that tUnite does not guarantee the field order on the output.
Change this to be a job for the header and a sub-job activated after the header job to append the data.
Sigh.
Si
Highlighted
Four Stars

Hi All,

Has this been solved yet? if not is there a workaround to inserting special characters into column names? my example:

"cost_centre_id" needs to be "cost-centre_id" but it is not letting me use it.

Please help.

Thanks,

John

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 4

Pick up some tips and tricks with Context Variables

Blog

How Media Organizations Achieved Success with Data Integration

Learn how media organizations have achieved success with Data Integration

Read

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Watch