One Star

[resolved] java.lang.NullPointerException

Hi!
I use Talend Open Studio Version: 5.4.1 and i have an issue.
I install Talend and in the first start I work without problems, but when I restart the program and trying open the job again throw the java.lang.NullPointerException.
Every time that I close Talend I have reinstall the program.
Any idea?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
One Star

Re: [resolved] java.lang.NullPointerException

Yes, the problem was my custom component.
I had resolved all my problem with the component and I had re-install Talend.
Now it works.
Thank you for all your support.
27 REPLIES
One Star

Hi Ander - can you paste your stack trace on here so we can see what particular problem you're having? And if you're referring to a job, please attach screenshots of the job.
Thanks.
One Star

Hi!
Thank you for your reply.
This is a snapshot of my problem. I hope you can help me to understand the best solution for this problem.
One Star

Ander - click on Post Reply, then attach your images...
One Star

Sorry, I had some problems with the size of the image.
One Star

Ander - might be that your workspace is corrupted. Close your Studio and rename your 'workspace' directory to something like 'workspacexx' and then restart your Studio and repeat your steps. Let us know...
One Star

Hi willm.
I tried to change the name of workspace, but it doesn't work. I made many tests to understand what's my problem (java.lang.NullPointerException).
My problem started when I put into the palette a custom component. While I didn't restart talend it works (load component on the palette and the component works fine), but when I restart talend the palette didn't open and throws the java.lang.NullPointerException.
I think that is the problem.
What can I do to resolve this?

Hi,
Where did you put the custom component? Could you please delete related custom component files to see if this studio comes back normally? If not, you have to reinstall studio.
In addition, here is a KB article about TalendHelpCenter:Installing a custom component.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Hi Sabrina,
Thank you for your reply.
I tried to remove the custom component from the palette and I tried to remove from the workspace. When the error comes, I can't do anything except re-install the program (I did it a lot of times).
One Star

Hi,
Yes, me too. It's the same thing for me. I'm tired to reinstall talend ...
Any idea?

Hi,
This issue is probably caused by your custom components. After reinstalling a new talend studio, you can do the operation of installing a custom component according to document TalendHelpCenter:Installing a custom component if the custom component is needed in your job design.
The exception "java.lang.NullPointerException" shouldn't occur in your new talend studio.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Hi,
Yes: the problem is the custom component. But I can't resolve the problem using Talend, because when throws the java.lang.NullPointerException the GUI doesn't work. It's impossible to open anything, infact I can't create or modify custom components with TOS. I had re-install TOS, changed the workspace, deleted all my custom components but anything...

Hi,
What's the custom component? Has it been shared on Talend Exchange?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

Now it works.

Hi,
Great your issue is fixed. Feel free let us know if there is any further help we can give.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

Hi Ander,
I'm facing the same issue but In my case i am not using any custom component.
May i know how you have resolved it.
Steps or screen shots would be much better for quick understanding.
Thanks and Regards
Naveen

Now it works.

Hi dasari,
Could you tell us the build version you'resuing? You also got java.lang.NullPointerException when launch studio or run a job? More info about your current scenario will be preferred.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

Thanks for Reply,
I am using Big Data not TOS.
And i am trying to make some changes by editing the job. Here is the screen shot attached.
One Star

Using problems tab, I am actually able to see the Errors. Screen Shot attached PFA
Now i am looking for a way to delete or modify the job code. Is their any way to edit the java code? Do we have any other best option to do rid of this issue.

Hi,
You cannot directly edit the code generated for a Talend Job.
Is your studio working well before? I have seen that basic variables aren't compiled completely.
What's your JDK and OS? and 32 bit or 64 bit?
Is there any error log which is located in <Talend Studio installation path>/workspace/.metadata/.log?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

Hey,
I am not using studio and im using talend enterprise big data which working well before with out any issues.
JDK = jdk1.7.0_25
OS = Windows 7 Home Basic - 64bit
Yes, with 210 lines Log is generated.
here is the sample one
!ENTRY org.eclipse.jface 4 2 2014-05-08 12:41:01.048
!MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.jface".
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.talend.designer.core.ui.editor.connections.ConnectionFigure.initFigureMap(ConnectionFigure.java:94)
at org.talend.designer.core.ui.editor.connections.ConnectionFigure.<init>(ConnectionFigure.java:84)
at org.talend.designer.core.ui.editor.connections.ConnectionFigure.<init>(ConnectionFigure.java:198)
at org.talend.designer.core.ui.editor.nodes.NodeFigure.setBounds(NodeFigure.java:195)
at org.eclipse.draw2d.XYLayout.layout(XYLayout.java:115)

Hi,
You cannot directly edit the code generated for a Talend Job.
Is your studio working well before? I have seen that basic variables aren't compiled completely.
What's your JDK and OS? and 32 bit or 64 bit?
Is there any error log which is located in <Talend Studio installation path>/workspace/.metadata/.log?
Best regards
Sabrina
One Star

How can i edit the code. I tried to edit it from code tab which is in b/w designer and jobscript but nothing is effecting.
Please find the screen shot and let me know how can i edit it.

Regards
Naveen

Hi,
I suspect your job get corrupted.
You could try clean up your local workspace(backup before) and in your TAC console check whether your jobs are locked? try to unlock them and try loading to your Studio. Let me know if it is OK with you.
Best regards
Sabrina
--

Hi,
How can i edit the code. I tried to edit it from code tab which is in b/w designer and jobscript but nothing is effecting.

This is no possible, you cannot directly edit the code generated for a Talend Job.
I would suggest you to connect to the Talend Support Portal and log your request, so that we treat it with priority, through the support cycle.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

Thanks Sabrina,
I get back to you on the workout which you have suggested and if that does not solve. I seek help from support portal on this issue.
Thanks and Regards
Naveen

Hi,
Is there any update for your issue?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

hello,
not sure if it's the same problem, but i've changed my computer and have re-installed TOS
Version: 5.2.0
Build id: r92826-20121025-0554
After re-installed it, i got this error message
An internal error occurred during: "Generation Engine Initialization in progress...".
The only differences i found between my old and new config is the Java version:
the error occurs when i use Java 8 and works perfectly with Java 7
any idea?
thanks
Community Manager

hello,
not sure if it's the same problem, but i've c
After re-installed it, i got this error message
An internal error occurred during: "Generation Engine Initialization in progress...".
The only differences i found between my old and new config is the Java version:
the error occurs when i use Java 8 and works perfectly with Java 7
any idea?
thanks

Java 8 is not supported Java version for Talend Studio 5.2.0, talend plans to support java 8 since 6.0 version, refer to this article.
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business