Two Stars

[resolved] Talend not connecting to Oracle ORA-01017: invalid username/password

Talend Enterprise Edition 5.1.3
Java
I am unable to connect to an Oracle DB via a Talend Job. I am receiving the message: ORA-01017: invalid username/password. I am able to connect to the database via sqlplus, TOAD and Sql Developer using the same username and password.
Here is the full message I'm receiving:
connecting to socket on port 3335
connected
Exception in component tOracleConnection_1
java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
at oracle.jdbc.driver.SQLStateMapping.newSQLException(SQLStateMapping.java:70)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.newSQLException(DatabaseError.java:133)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:206)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:455)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:406)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:399)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoauthenticate.receiveOauth(T4CTTIoauthenticate.java:799)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.logon(T4CConnection.java:368)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.<init>(PhysicalConnection.java:508)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.<init>(T4CConnection.java:203)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CDriverExtension.getConnection(T4CDriverExtension.java:33)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:510)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at cisco.connectiontest_0_1.connectiontest.tOracleConnection_1Process(connectiontest.java:375)
at cisco.connectiontest_0_1.connectiontest.runJobInTOS(connectiontest.java:648)
at cisco.connectiontest_0_1.connectiontest.main(connectiontest.java:472)
disconnected
Job connectiontest ended at 10:17 17/09/2013.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as this job needs to go into production this week.
Thanks,
Chris
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Two Stars

Re: [resolved] Talend not connecting to Oracle ORA-01017: invalid username/password

I was able to resolve the issue. Thanks for your help!
The server name was incorrect. We are in the middle of a migration to a new server and the hostname was changed to point to a different server. It worked in sqlplus and the other tools because they all used a shared tnsnames file which had been updated to the new server.
I'm still not sure why it would always connect in the metadata connection check and sometimes even connect in the job.
Good point about the well-used component! My initial instinct was that this was not a Talend issue and more of a user issue but I wanted to get another pair of Talend eyes to confirm my instinct. Thanks!
4 REPLIES
Five Stars

Re: [resolved] Talend not connecting to Oracle ORA-01017: invalid username/password

I'd be inclined to say its telling the truth.
How are you passing your connection details? Context variables? Literals?
If context, use tContextDump->tLogRow to make sure that they're set to what you think.
Also look for any spaces that may have snuck in to user name or password.
Two Stars

Initially the job was setup to pass via context variables. I've also tried to pass with literals with no success.
I copied the value directly from the ContextDump into sqlplus and I was able to connect.
I should also mention that if I go to the actual metadata connection object and click "check" it checks successfully. The job has also connected successfully a few times but is not consistent.
Five Stars

Click on the code tab and find the line that contains url_tOracleConnection_1. Does anything look wrong with hard-coded connection parameters?
As you're using Enterprise, are you running the Job locally on the same computer that your performing your SQL/Plus tests?
If your username and password are as you expect, could your connection parameters be resolving to a different database to what you expect?
This is a well-used component and the error is coming from an Oracle database, so I can't see any solution other than the user/password is incorrect for the database that you've connected to.
Two Stars

I was able to resolve the issue. Thanks for your help!
The server name was incorrect. We are in the middle of a migration to a new server and the hostname was changed to point to a different server. It worked in sqlplus and the other tools because they all used a shared tnsnames file which had been updated to the new server.
I'm still not sure why it would always connect in the metadata connection check and sometimes even connect in the job.
Good point about the well-used component! My initial instinct was that this was not a Talend issue and more of a user issue but I wanted to get another pair of Talend eyes to confirm my instinct. Thanks!