Five Stars

[resolved] Talend is quoting the Temp data directory path

We use a context variable to define our temp data directory path, for use in tMaps which need to use temp cache files.
We define it as : context.REX_DIR_TempFileCache
after saving in Talend it is defined as : "context.REX_DIR_TempFileCache"
The result is our temp files are stored in the wrong place ( ./context.REX_DIR_TempFileCache ).
Am attaching screenshot showing this.
11 REPLIES
Employee

Re: [resolved] Talend is quoting the Temp data directory path

Hi dlacroix,
To use context variable, don't add any double quotation marks around it, hence the correct expression is context.REX_DIR_TempFileCache, not "context.REX_DIR_TempFileCache".
jjzhou
Five Stars

Hi jizhou,
Exactly my point..
I did not define the variable with quotes but for some reason Talend is inserting the quotes. So either it is a bug or I'm doing something wrong.
In the attached image you see the results after Talend added the quotes. I entered the value in that box without quotes but after saving and compiling, the quotes mysteriously appeared.
We been seeing this behaviour for years now. We keep removing the quotes and eventually it sticks after a few tries. I was thinking it was related to defining the value in the Component tab as shown here, or defining it in the tMap editor popup but now I don't think that's the case.
One Star

What version are you using? I've never seen that behaviour before.
Five Stars

Talend Platform for Data Management,
Version: 5.3.1
Build id: r104014

Hi dlacroix,
Could you please open a ticket on Talend Support Portal, so that our colleagues from support team can give your a remote assistance to see if this is a bug.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Hi Sabrina,
     I am using Talend 5.3 and I am also getting the same error. Every time I am assigning a context variable for temp folder, Talend is automatically adding "" at both ends. I tried to remove them but every time its getting added again. 
     I could see the post marked as resolved but could not find the resolution steps. Could you please advise the resolution steps?
Warm Regards,
Nikhil
One Star

Hi nikhiltui,
Are you using talend subscription version 5.3.1? We cannot repro this issue on V 6.2.1
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Hi Sabrina,
    The version we are using is 5.2.2.r99271

Hi nikhiltui,
Have you tried to use V 6.2.1 to see if it works?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

Hi Sabrina,
     It works in 6.2... Even in 5.2.2 also it is working for some other jobs in our environment. We are in the process to migrate to 6.2 but it will take some more time. In the mean time, could you please advise how we can overcome this error in 5.2 version?