Seven Stars

[resolved] Pass a value back to a calling app

In exporting a Talend job as an .exe, is there a way that an execution-return value can be passed back to whichever app calls the Talend job (other than writing to a file or DB)?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Seven Stars

Re: [resolved] Pass a value back to a calling app

I didn't end up using this but found that if using tSystem to call Talend's exported batch files (a long story as to why that was necessary), the error code from a tDie in the called job will be returned by tSystem's EXIT_VALUE.
5 REPLIES

well, you could always use your exit code... but mixed meaning in variables is usually a bad idea. in my experience, using files for this isnt as bad as it first appears.
Seven Stars

This will be my first attempt at exporting an autonomous job from Talend, let alone running it from another app, so can you please explain a bit more. How do you set the exit code and how is that picked up by the calling app? At this stage I only envisage needing to know that the job completed and whether it was successful or not.
Thanks

when you export the job, youll get a zip package with a shell script and batch file inside. when you execute the batch file, the exit code will be set to 1 or 0 or whatever you jam in a tDie
if you call it with java, its returned by the Runtime.exec() function. If you just execute it from the command prompt, in windows do "echo %errorlevel%" and linux "echo $?"
Six Stars

In exporting a Talend job as an .exe, is there a way that an execution-return value can be passed back to whichever app calls the Talend job (other than writing to a file or DB)?

Well you could use the process exit value, but the proper way to handle depends on the calling application (shell ? code ? ... )
Seven Stars

I didn't end up using this but found that if using tSystem to call Talend's exported batch files (a long story as to why that was necessary), the error code from a tDie in the called job will be returned by tSystem's EXIT_VALUE.