[resolved] Job JVM settings with parent/child jobs

One Star

[resolved] Job JVM settings with parent/child jobs

Hi experts, I have a question that I cannot find answered anywhere. If I have a job and it needs more memory, I can set the JVM settings for the Job to provide it more memory. But if a child of a child job needs more memory, can I give that 2048MB while its parents only have 1024MB?
Well, I know that I *can*, but will it work? What I want is for some child jobs to be able to claim more memory than their parents so that I do not need to adjust every parent job relating to a memory intensive child job. Most of my jobs can make do with 1024MB, but some need 4096MB. If I have the following structure.....
Parent (1024MB) --> child (1024MB) --> child (1024MB)-->child (1024MB) --> child(4096MB)
....will that actually permit my final child job to take 4096MB or will the limitations of the parents mean that it can only take what has been left out of 1024MB by those jobs?
Is this the same for compiling and running on the commandline and running in a JobServer?

Accepted Solutions
Seventeen Stars

Re: [resolved] Job JVM settings with parent/child jobs

hi,
allocation of memory is for one instance of the JVM.
so you cannot manage differents settings depending on job needs
=> set the max value : 4096MB
hope it helps
regards
laurent

All Replies
Seventeen Stars

hi,
allocation of memory is for one instance of the JVM.
so you cannot manage differents settings depending on job needs
=> set the max value : 4096MB
hope it helps
regards
laurent
One Star

Are you saying that if we set the parent job to have a max value of 4096MB, that every Job in the process would be able to use whatever was left of that 4096MB at the time in which it runs? Even if one of the child jobs has been set up to only use 1024MB, it would still be able to use 4096MB because the JVM is controlled by the parent job with 4096MB? If so, that solves my problem I think.
Seventeen Stars

yes Smiley Happy
One Star

Thanks for your answer!