One Star

[resolved] Iterate differing variables to component

Hi all,
Simple question without much introduction needed for it - Let's say I have 48 different variables (taken from a list of ID numbers) and I need an input component to look up a URL based on each individual ID number - Hence I need each ID as a variable to automate the job (the ID's change daily).
So inside my input I have ' "URL.LINK&" +globalMap.get("ID_value_"+globalMap.get("V")) ' as the link. But how do I iterate V = 1,2,3 etc into the component?
I have a clever java loop which saves each ID as ID_value_N for however many N integer values needed, but I cannot think of a way of importing that into a single file-name path.
Any help is appreciated.
Regards,
V Pem.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: [resolved] Iterate differing variables to component

Hi 
If you want to iterate number from 1 to Y (it is 48 for example) and send it as a parameter to the next processing, you can use tLoop component to a loop. For example:
your other component--main(row1)--tJavaFlex (Here I use tJavaFlex to replace tJavaRow)
    |
onsubjobok
    |
tLoop--iterate--tJava--oncomponentok--your other processing.
on tJavaFlex:
in the beginning part
Integer Y=0;

in the main part:
Y = (Integer)globalMap.get("N");
globalMap.put("film_edi_"+Y, row1.film_edi);
globalMap.put("N", new Integer(Y.intValue() + 1));

in the end part, store the value of Y to a context variable called Y for use later.
on tLoop, set Condition field with a context variable called condition.

on tJava:
int current_iterate=((Integer)globalMap.get("tLoop_1_CURRENT_ITERATION"));
if(current_iterate<context.Y){
context.condition=true;
}else{
context.condition=false;
}

//the current value of Y can be accessed with this expression in your other processing:
((Integer)globalMap.get("tLoop_1_CURRENT_ITERATION"))
I am not sure I understand your request completely, but hope that it might give you some tips to use tLoop to do a loop.
BR
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
4 REPLIES
Community Manager

where is the value of V stored?
One Star

Not entirely sure..? In the workings of talends variables. Here is the code from my tJavaRow that produces the entire variable:
Integer Y = (Integer)globalMap.get("N");
globalMap.put("film_edi_"+Y, input_row.film_edi);

Apologies, it is Y, not V - Regardless, it doesn't really matter. How would I iterate the differing value into the input component? Since, at the end of the Java component, Y is set to 48. How would I iterate it through all the integer values going INTO the input? Essentially, how do I loop the input to run mutliple times?
Community Manager

Hi 
If you want to iterate number from 1 to Y (it is 48 for example) and send it as a parameter to the next processing, you can use tLoop component to a loop. For example:
your other component--main(row1)--tJavaFlex (Here I use tJavaFlex to replace tJavaRow)
    |
onsubjobok
    |
tLoop--iterate--tJava--oncomponentok--your other processing.
on tJavaFlex:
in the beginning part
Integer Y=0;

in the main part:
Y = (Integer)globalMap.get("N");
globalMap.put("film_edi_"+Y, row1.film_edi);

in the end part, store the value of Y to a context variable called Y for use later.
on tLoop, set Condition field with a context variable called condition.

on tJava:
int current_iterate=((Integer)globalMap.get("tLoop_1_CURRENT_ITERATION"));
if(current_iterate<context.Y){
context.condition=true;
}else{
context.condition=false;
}

//the current value of Y can be accessed with this expression in your other processing:
((Integer)globalMap.get("tLoop_1_CURRENT_ITERATION"))
I am not sure I understand your request completely, but hope that it might give you some tips to use tLoop to do a loop.
BR
Shong
One Star

Waaahooooo!! Finally got it! Thank you Shong. tLoop was EXACTLY what I needed. Such a simple answer and it took me so long to find it haha.
I probably could have done it your way, but I changed it slightly - For the purpose of others I will detail below, thanks again.
So after my initial Java loop which sets the variables ID_value_N for all integer values N required, I did onSubjobOkay --> tLoop --Iterate--> tJava --OnComponentOkay--> Other part of my job.
Inside the tLoop I did:
Loop Type: For
From 1
To (Integer)globalMap.get("N") -1
Step 1
This makes sense if you look at the code for my tJavaFlow which sets the initial value Y from the integer N as follows:
Integer Y = (Integer)globalMap.get("N");
This means that after it sets the final variable ID_value_48, it sets the value N as 49 before finishing the component, hence the -1 in the tLoop.

As for the tJava, I do the following:
Integer W = (Integer)globalMap.get("V");
globalMap.put("V", new Integer(W.intValue() + 1));
Similar loop as to the one above, simply giving me a new value to play with so I needn't interfer with the original variable N (for safety reasons). Then I call upon the variable ' +globalMap.get("ID_value_"+globalMap.get("V")) ' in my input component after the tJava which iterates through the values as a result of the tLoop... Awesome! Smiley Happy
Note: If anyone does a similar thing, make sure to do 'Append' in the output, as I initially over-wrote my file several times before realising what I was doing haha.
Regards,
V Pem.