One Star

[resolved] Input Delimited File Multiple Field Separators

Hey everyone,
In Excel it's possible to specify more than 1 column separator when you convert the text of a CSV file to columns, like , or ; or you can even specify a separator on your own.
Now the question I have is this: is it possible to have multiple field separators in a Delimited Input File component? I am currently using ";", but I'd like to have "|" as well. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Cihan
8 REPLIES
One Star

Re: [resolved] Input Delimited File Multiple Field Separators

Hello... You mean, have 2 delimiters in a file at the same time? Either ";" or "|"?
One Star

Yes, in the same file, ";" and "|". I want to use both.
You can do it in Excel and I would like to know if you can use more than 1 field separator in Talend.
Thank you!
Five Stars

design job like below this will solve your problem.

tFileInputfullRow-----tjavaRow----tExtractDelimitedField-------Main---YourOutput.
1. inTjavaRow generate code and write below statement.
output_row.line = input_row.line.replace("|", ";");
2. configure tExtractDelimitedField field component with filed-separator =";" and then add schema for same.

this way you don`t need to wary about more than on delimiter.
One Star

Sorry for the late reply, because of the weekend + forum maintenance.
I have redesigned my job according to your message, but I'm getting the following error at the tJavaRow component:
"line cannot be resolved or is not a field"
When I check the schema of my tFileInputFullRow, my column is designated as "line", but somehow it doesn't get recognised.
Any ideas?

Hi cihanc83,

Did you use "Main" row between tFileInputFullRow and tjavarow? Would you mind uploading your job workflow screenshot into forum?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Here is my screenshot (please ignore the deactivated job, that is the old one):

By the way, I love the new forum features, especially for uploading files and screenshots. They seem more intuitive now.

Hi,
Have you already clicked "Sync columns" in tjavaRow? Is there any error line when you switch to "Code" mode?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Thanks everyone, that did it!