[resolved] Huge talend.project file

One Star

[resolved] Huge talend.project file

As I have stated in other posts, talend is taking a really long time to load (gets stuck on the "Progress Information" for more than 15m).
I have noticed that my talend.project file is really big, it's 24MB, compared to the 22KB from a blank project, I think that is really huge and I also think that this is the cause for the really really slow start.
I have tried to trim some lines but then got errors (Error while deleting resources)
Does anyone know how I can trim this file, because I really think this is what is taking so long to read/process.
Thanks.
I am on ubuntu 10.10 64bit using talend 4.1.2

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: [resolved] Huge talend.project file

Hi
I just confirmed it with our developer, there is no way to know what operations studio have done during it starts up.
Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business

All Replies
Community Manager

Hi
It is abnormal with 24MB size. It is not a good idea to modify the file talend.project manually, have a try to export the projects or all items in each project and back up them, install a new studio and import the existing projects into new studio. BTW, to speed up the start up progress, deactivate the rarely used components from project settings-->designer->palette settings. These hidden components will not be loaded when studio starts up.
Best regards
Shong
One Star

I wish I could do that.
When I reach the dialog to open the project, after selecting the project I want to load it hangs in the box that shows "progress information" in the title.
Is there any way to see where talend is hanging?? Maybe some file it's trying to read got corrupted or something like that.
Community Manager

Hi
I just confirmed it with our developer, there is no way to know what operations studio have done during it starts up.
Best regards
Shong
One Star

That's great Smiley Sad
So there is nothing I can do then.. I just have to hope it doesn't hang..
Is there any document that explains the process talend performs when it starts up? I am not a Java programmer so if there is an alternative to reading the source code it would be great.
Thanks for the help.
One Star

One thing I forgot to mention.
Talend is hanging because yesterday there was some kind of memory problem and I had talend open and was editing a job. It crashed and since then it has stopped completely in the "Progress information" (before it just took a really long time).
The memory problem, I think, was due to me messing in the TalendOpenStudio-linux-gtk-x86_64.ini file.
I changed the settings to:
-vmargs
-Xms256m
-Xmx1536m
-XX:MaxPermSize=512m
(I think those were the setting I have since changed them back to their original values
-vmargs
-Xms64m
-Xmx1536m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
)
The pc I am working on is an i5 with 6gb of ram.. so I thought there would be no problem. Guess I was wrong Smiley Sad
One Star

Just another note, the "Progress information" dialog only has "Operation in progress..." nothing else Smiley Sad
One Star

Ok I got an error!!
org.talend.commons.exception.FatalException: org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException: Problems encountered while deleting resources.
at org.talend.commons.exception.RuntimeExceptionHandler.process(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.designer.runprocess.DeleteAllJobWhenStartUp.earlyStartup(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.designer.runprocess.DeleteAllJobWhenStartUp.startup(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.designer.runprocess.RunProcessService.deleteAllJobs(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.core.CoreService.deleteAllJobs(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.model.ProxyRepositoryFactory.logOnProject(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.ui.login.LoginDialog$1.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException: Problems encountered while deleting resources.
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Resource.delete(Resource.java:737)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Resource.delete(Resource.java:690)
... 7 more
One Star

Shong
I have downloaded talend 4.1.3 and I am in the process of importing the project from the old talend version. The problem I am having is that the import doesn't go beyond the "Populate items to import" (just after I select the project directory).
I have tried to just export the jobs, metadata, code and then import only that to a new project in the new talend version but that doesn't seem to do anything.
What can I do to just get the jobs, metadata, contexts so I can avoid the talend.project file?
Community Manager

Hi
I have tried to just export the jobs, metadata, code and then import only that to a new project in the new talend version but that doesn't seem to do anything.
What can I do to just get the jobs, metadata, contexts so I can avoid the talend.project file?

What do you mean it doesn't do anything? It also export the associated project file when exporting the items, but it don't effect the import of item to a new project.
Best regards
Shong
One Star

Indeed you are right. The import was ok it just took a really long time Smiley Happy Sorry for the post I guess I was in a panic Smiley Tongue
Thanks again for all the help. I think the project is ok in the new version.
Community Manager

Indeed you are right. The import was ok it just took a really long time Smiley Happy Sorry for the post I guess I was in a panic Smiley Tongue
Thanks again for all the help. I think the project is ok in the new version.

Hi
Good news, thanks for your feedback!Smiley Wink
Best regards
Shong