[resolved] How to manage several Environment ? Job, Metadata, Variable and Schema

One Star

[resolved] How to manage several Environment ? Job, Metadata, Variable and Schema

Hi everyone,
I want to be able to use several environment (2 to begin : DEV & PROD) of TOS.
I'm a debutant on TOS so I'd like some advice to choose between these two methods, or a better one that I didn't found.
1st :
- Make a save of my full Workspace folder
- Develop on the other Workspace
- Use some variable to choose on which environment (Database etc...) the job run will point
2nd :
- Only use one Workspace
- Use the versionning to develop the diverses Job
- Make different schema in the metadata to be able to add some column without breaking the PROD environment.
- Use some variable to choose on which environment (Database etc...) the job run will point
My targets :
- Be able to develop without risking to break the PROD.
- Be able to change the schema in the DEV environment (for exemple add some column in my date dimension table which is upload from an Excel file)
Thank's in advance for your advice,
Julien

Accepted Solutions
One Star

Re: [resolved] How to manage several Environment ? Job, Metadata, Variable and Schema

Hi,
Shortly, I use the TOS export/import to pass from an environment to another or from a developer to another (at job level or whole project).
It works as soon both use the same version (maybe it's not the better way).
Upgrading is proposed by TOS when you try to import a previous version into the studio.
Of course, it's safer to maintain a job version with the according Studio version (PROD 6.2.0 with TOS 6.2.0).
However, as the Studio is not required at runtime, you can use the version you want as soon the Java version and the libs are aligned.
Regards,
TRF

All Replies
One Star

Re: [resolved] How to manage several Environment ? Job, Metadata, Variable and Schema

Hi,
I suggest you to have one TOS installation and separate projects each one representing one of the desired environment.
You may also have different TOS installations, usefull to maintain different versions (for example PROD with 6.1.0, DEV with with 6.2.1).
Also, if you have different installations, you are able to work on 2 (or more) versions at the same time (without switching from a project to another).
Regards,
TRF
One Star

Hi TRF,
Thank's for your answer.
I have some question about your 2nd solution :
How do you migrate from DEV to PROD ? 
- Do you copy the full workspace or project in the Windows / Linux explorer ?
- Do you copy only the Jobs / Metadata / etc. that you want to migrate in the Windows / Linux explorer ?
- Do you copy only the Jobs / Metadata / etc. that you want to migrate directly between the two Talend Environment ?
And don't you think that I could have some compatibility issue (For exemple : a job working in my DEV 6.2.1 environment and not in my PROD 6.2.0 environment) ?
Thank's in advance for your help,
Julien
One Star

Hi,
Shortly, I use the TOS export/import to pass from an environment to another or from a developer to another (at job level or whole project).
It works as soon both use the same version (maybe it's not the better way).
Upgrading is proposed by TOS when you try to import a previous version into the studio.
Of course, it's safer to maintain a job version with the according Studio version (PROD 6.2.0 with TOS 6.2.0).
However, as the Studio is not required at runtime, you can use the version you want as soon the Java version and the libs are aligned.
Regards,
TRF