[resolved] Hide credentials from a database component

One Star

[resolved] Hide credentials from a database component

I am wondering if there exists any option to hide credentials from the database component and from its source?
In the attached picture the password is not shown, however we can see it from the code view. Probably there is no option to encrypt it, right?

Accepted Solutions

Re: [resolved] Hide credentials from a database component

Hi,
You can write the db connection information in a property file such as .txt, define these db parameter with context variable, and use tContextLoad component to load these value at the beginning of job.
Have a look at user component doc and learn this tContextLoad.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

The job needs to parse the information to the (remote) system, so it needs to be unencrypted at some point.
I have used this component from the Talendforge Exchange.
http://www.powerupbi.com/talend/pwdStore.html
It actually creates an extra layer between the password and the job. Passwords are stored in the Pwstore, but the password for the Pwstore is still in the job.

All Replies

Hi,
You can write the db connection information in a property file such as .txt, define these db parameter with context variable, and use tContextLoad component to load these value at the beginning of job.
Have a look at user component doc and learn this tContextLoad.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Thank you Sabrina I will give it a try, however the password in the file is plain text too..

Hi,
What's your expected result of password part? Could you please elaborate your case with an example with the expected result, screenshot will be appreciated.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

My expectation is to hide the password from the component and from the source code. Password is hidden with asterisk on the component, however if you look at the code view, password is visible.

Hi,
So far, in talend, the password cannot be completely hidden. We just use context variable "password type" to show password, however, when you export job script, Default.properties still show the password.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

The job needs to parse the information to the (remote) system, so it needs to be unencrypted at some point.
I have used this component from the Talendforge Exchange.
http://www.powerupbi.com/talend/pwdStore.html
It actually creates an extra layer between the password and the job. Passwords are stored in the Pwstore, but the password for the Pwstore is still in the job.
One Star

You are right saukema.. Thank you both for your help..