[resolved] Get input file row by row as a string

One Star aca
One Star

[resolved] Get input file row by row as a string

Hi, I apologize if this have been answered before.
TOS 3.2.0, Java
I have simple job: Get the list of files from a directory and parse one by one and store data in database table:
tFileList => tFileInputDelimited => tMap => Database Table
Each file row has more than 100 ~ delimited values, and each file has sometimes 10000 rows.
I use tMap to extract few of values in each row and map to a field in database table.
One of the values is file name itself which I got like this: ((String)globalMap.get("tFileList_1_CURRENT_FILE"))
One of the field in the table is current file row itself. Since I have more that a 100 delimited columns it would be a pain to concatenate each individual column. Is there a variable that I can use to reference entire row (as a string) as it comes from the file.
Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: [resolved] Get input file row by row as a string

Hello
tFileInputFullRow ---row1-->tFlowToIterate--iterate-->tFixedFlowInput--->tExtractDlimitedFields--tMap---tMysqlOutput
On tFixedFlowInput, only generate one row with one column, set the value of column as: (String)globalMap.get("row1.line")
On tExtractDlimitedFields, extract the delimited values
On tmap, add a new column called line, set the expression as: (String)globalMap.get("row1.line")
if you need to filter some columns, doing that on another tmap or tFilterColumns component.
about tFlowToIterate, see 5827.
Best regards

shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business

All Replies
Community Manager

Hello
One of the field in the table is current file row itself. Since I have more that a 100 delimited columns it would be a pain to concatenate each individual column.

You can use tFileInputFullRow component to read the whole line as one row.
Best regards

shong
One Star aca
One Star

Thanks Shong, but I also need to extract few elements from that line.
tFileInputFullRow let me extract just whole row and tfileInputDelimited let me extract delimited values that I need.
What I need to map is 3 elements from file delimited row and a whole row itself. I there a way to do that. is there variable in tfileInputDelimited that holds whole row string.
Thanks.
Community Manager

Hello
tFileInputFullRow ---row1-->tFlowToIterate--iterate-->tFixedFlowInput--->tExtractDlimitedFields--tMap---tMysqlOutput
On tFixedFlowInput, only generate one row with one column, set the value of column as: (String)globalMap.get("row1.line")
On tExtractDlimitedFields, extract the delimited values
On tmap, add a new column called line, set the expression as: (String)globalMap.get("row1.line")
if you need to filter some columns, doing that on another tmap or tFilterColumns component.
about tFlowToIterate, see 5827.
Best regards

shong
One Star aca
One Star

perfect, thanks....
One Star

Dear Shong,
tFileInputFullRow ---row1-->tFlowToIterate--iterate-->tFixedFlowInput--->tExtractDlimitedFields--tMap---tMysqlOutput in this flow if I have to extract data for fixed width file for each row with different length, which component i should use in place of tExtractDlimitedFields?
Community Manager

Dear Shong,
tFileInputFullRow ---row1-->tFlowToIterate--iterate-->tFixedFlowInput--->tExtractDlimitedFields--tMap---tMysqlOutput in this flow if I have to extract data for fixed width file for each row with different length, which component i should use in place of tExtractDlimitedFields?

Take a look at tExtractPositionalFields component.
Regards
Shong