[resolved] Extract string before a special character

One Star sj7
One Star

[resolved] Extract string before a special character

Hi,
I am trying to extract string before any special character. How can I do that?
For example:
Column1
india (451,98)
abc (123.43)
resd (34,56)
Expected Output:
Column1
india
abc
resd
I am trying with the java code(tjavarow), But it is showing me the following error:-
statistics] connecting to socket on port 3837
connected
Exception in component tJavaRow_1
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
at roamware.copy_of_rw_add_country_code_0_1.Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.tOracleInput_1Process(Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.java:893)
at roamware.copy_of_rw_add_country_code_0_1.Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.runJobInTOS(Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.java:1271)
at roamware.copy_of_rw_add_country_code_0_1.Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.main(Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.java:1139)
My code is as follow:-
output_row.Country = Relational.ISNULL(input_row.COUNTRYNAME)?"":input_row.COUNTRYNAME.trim().length()>0?input_row.COUNTRYNAME.trim().substring(0,input_row.COUNTRYNAME.indexOf("(")): input_row.COUNTRYNAME.trim();

Accepted Solutions

Re: [resolved] Extract string before a special character

If the scenario is that you also have the records that do not contain the character "(" and say if you want to pass them as it is to the output you can try out the below code in tJavaRow (You need to modify it as per your case):
if((input_row.Country) != null && ((String)input_row.Country).contains("("))
output_row.Country = StringHandling.LEFT(input_row.Country,StringHandling.INDEX(input_row.Country,"("));
else if((input_row.Country) != null && !((String)input_row.Country).contains("("))
output_row.Country = input_row.Country;

All Replies
One Star

Hi,
you could try :
StringHandling.LEFT(row1.newColumn,StringHandling.INDEX(row1.newColumn,"("))
Highlighted
One Star sj7
One Star

Hi, This is still showing me the following error:-
at routines.StringHandling.LEFT(StringHandling.java:218)
at roamware.copy_of_rw_add_country_code_0_1.Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.tOracleInput_1Process(Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.java:891)
at roamware.copy_of_rw_add_country_code_0_1.Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.runJobInTOS(Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.java:1268)
at roamware.copy_of_rw_add_country_code_0_1.Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.main(Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.java:1136)

Hi,
you could try :
StringHandling.LEFT(row1.newColumn,StringHandling.INDEX(row1.newColumn,"("))

Hi, This is still showing me the following error:-
at routines.StringHandling.LEFT(StringHandling.java:218)
at roamware.copy_of_rw_add_country_code_0_1.Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.tOracleInput_1Process(Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.java:891)
at roamware.copy_of_rw_add_country_code_0_1.Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.runJobInTOS(Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.java:1268)
at roamware.copy_of_rw_add_country_code_0_1.Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.main(Copy_of_RW_Add_Country_Code.java:1136)

Hi,
This error might be because some of your input records don't have the character "(" which we are using in the StringHandling function. Let us know if that is the case.
Regards,
Diwakar

If the scenario is that you also have the records that do not contain the character "(" and say if you want to pass them as it is to the output you can try out the below code in tJavaRow (You need to modify it as per your case):
output_row.Country = StringHandling.LEFT(input_row.Country,StringHandling.INDEX(input_row.Country,"("));
else if((input_row.Country) != null && !((String)input_row.Country).contains("("))
One Star sj7
One Star

Hi, Thanks a lot.
It is working fine now with this code. Thanks

That's great.. You're welcome Smiley Happy
Best Regards,
Diwakar

You can mark this post as resolved.
Regards,
Diwakar

i have a simmilar question, i get API with tRESTClient in JSON, when i use the API link directly in the browser it works fine.
when i use tRESTClient ---> tLogRow i get the same JSON, exept for the first part of the string, Talend added: '200||' to the string. so because of that i cannot use tExtractJSONFields because the JSON is invalid.
how can i extract the first five characters, in this case: '200||', from the string (JSON)??