One Star

[resolved] Create calculated field

This is probably a simple thing to do, but I simply can't figure it out (newbie to TOS).
MSSQL connection -> tMap -> Vertica connection.
Source has 10 columns, but I want the target table to have 11 columns.  The new column will have the count of rows with a CLOSE_DATE (one of the existing columns) per month.  For example, I want to know the total number of tickets closed per month.
thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Seventeen Stars

Re: [resolved] Create calculated field

On the output flow you see the 11 columns and if you click at the value field you can open the expression editor. Here is the place where you can calculate the value based on the input flow columns for the output column.
Actually your job design should looks like:
tMysqlInput --> tMap --> tVerticaOutput
You should build for both in the metadata section the table metadata, drag and drop both metadata into your job (use the mentioned components) and connect the input and output with the tMap.
Now open the tMap editor and connect all columns from the input to the output and for the last vertica column define the calculation expression.
This is actually a very beginner task and you will find a lot of help also as YouTube videos as well.
4 REPLIES
Seventeen Stars

On the output flow you see the 11 columns and if you click at the value field you can open the expression editor. Here is the place where you can calculate the value based on the input flow columns for the output column.
Actually your job design should looks like:
tMysqlInput --> tMap --> tVerticaOutput
You should build for both in the metadata section the table metadata, drag and drop both metadata into your job (use the mentioned components) and connect the input and output with the tMap.
Now open the tMap editor and connect all columns from the input to the output and for the last vertica column define the calculation expression.
This is actually a very beginner task and you will find a lot of help also as YouTube videos as well.
One Star

worked!!  thanks
p.s. what are the top 2 or 3 resources online for beginner/intermediate/advanced TOS training in your opinion?
Seventeen Stars

I strongly suggest a Talend training or you make your self familiar with it - I have done this - but you need Java skills to understand what happen to the job when you change some options. Without deeper Java skill the Talend training is the best option.
Books are not available so far - as I know.
One Star

thanks @jlolling.  There are some java skills in house, but i'm not one of them, so I'll choose the training Smiley Happy