[resolved] Cannot Install - Need System Variable JAVA_HOME after variable is set

[resolved] Cannot Install - Need System Variable JAVA_HOME after variable is set

I first attempted the install on my Windows computer, but it complained that it couldn't find a JDK.  So I went out and installed the latest version, jdk1.8.0_65 (Windows x86). I attempted the install a second time and it complained that I didn't have the system variable JAVA_HOME set to the Oracle JDK.  So I went out to the Control Panel->Edit Environment Variables For Your Account->Advanced tab->Environment Variables screen and created a new variable called JAVA_HOME with the value in double quotes (since it includes spaces) to this value: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_65"
I've tried running the install a few more times, but it keeps giving me the same error asking me to set the system environment variable JAVA_HOME again.
I've looked at the help page on talend.com and also on Oracle.com.  What should I do now?
Jason

Accepted Solutions
Five Stars

Re: [resolved] Cannot Install - Need System Variable JAVA_HOME after variable is set

I added the path for the java compiler to the PATH environment variable and reopened everything and it worked.

All Replies

Re: [resolved] Cannot Install - Need System Variable JAVA_HOME after variable is set

Error message and environment Variable definition

JDK installed

Apparently I installed the wrong version and needed the community version and not the full version.

Hi,
Here is the installation guide:https://help.talend.com/search/all?query=Talend+Open+Studio+for+Data+Integration+Installation+and+Up...
and the document about:TalendHelpCenter:Compatible Platforms and Java environments.
What's the build version you are using?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Five Stars

In a related fashion, I installed the latest jre file and set the JAVA_HOME variable correctly and Talend worked fine.  I then needed to download a jdk (which I understand includes the jre) for an java IDE.  I had to change the JAVA_HOME to point to the JDK.  Talend then broke because it no longer pointed the directory containing the jre file, even though there is a jre in a subdirectory of the jdk directory.  Is there a way to have Talend look further in the directory tree for the jre file?

Hi cjremley,
In a related fashion, I installed the latest jre file and set the JAVA_HOME variable correctly and Talend worked fine.  I then needed to download a jdk (which I understand includes the jre) for an java IDE.  I had to change the JAVA_HOME to point to the JDK.  Talend then broke because it no longer pointed the directory containing the jre file

Could you please paste the error message you got into forum directly? What does the error look like?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Five Stars

I added the path for the java compiler to the PATH environment variable and reopened everything and it worked.