One Star

[resolved] Can tBufferInput read buffer while tBufferOutput is still writing?

I Inherited some talend jobs and we are trying to determine how they work. We haven’t done any new Talend work in a few years, and basically I’m a newbie (and the only one around).
Unfortunately adding some tLogRows for debug isn’t really feasible at the moment.
So wondering if anyone happens to know...
If tBufferInput and tBufferOutput are in subjobs that can run concurrently,
Will/Can tBufferInput start loading data from the Buffer immediately?
Or does Talend force it to wait until the subjob that is writing to the buffer ends?
Subjob A
 - tFileList (finds a file) -> tFileProperties -> tSetGlobalVar (saves some info)
              OnComponentOK  ->  to new Subjob X to process data
 - onSubjob(A)OK tFileList -> new Subjob Y
So it seems Subjob X and Y can execute concurrently.  (job threaded enabled)
Subjob X  processes data ... ->  tBufferOutput
Subjob Y  tBufferInput   -> ... processes data
The documentation I’ve read doesn’t explain what happens in this scenario. The examples I’ve seen have the tBufferOutput subjob completing before the tBufferInput executes.
Thanks, my apologies for asking and not being able to try it out right now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: [resolved] Can tBufferInput read buffer while tBufferOutput is still writing?

Hi
With this job deisgn, Subjob x and y will not execute concurrently, subjob y starts to work only when both subjob A and x finish. Take a look at this KB article to see the difference between oncomponentOK and onsubjobOK.
Shong

----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
2 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: [resolved] Can tBufferInput read buffer while tBufferOutput is still writing?

Hi
With this job deisgn, Subjob x and y will not execute concurrently, subjob y starts to work only when both subjob A and x finish. Take a look at this KB article to see the difference between oncomponentOK and onsubjobOK.
Shong

----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Thanks Shong! The article perfectly describes my subjob situation and now I get it!
much appreciated!