One Star

[resolved] Calling paginated REST API

Hi,
I have 2 questions - 
1) First can we directly use the REST response (XML/JSON data) and parse its contents?
2) I have to call a REST api which has paginated response. So would need to call till all the data is exhausted. How can we achieve the same.
-Manoj
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fifteen Stars

Re: [resolved] Calling paginated REST API

1) Yes you can. This is very simple with Talend.....simpler with XML than JSON though.
2) Paginated responses can be a bit fiddly, but entirely possible. I have actually written a tutorial about how to get Spotify listening stats from Facebook, that has to deal with a REST service making use of paginated results. My tutorial can be found here. It is probably more complicated than your job will need to be, but should give you a good idea of how to deal with getting all of the REST response pages. You can download the job at the bottom of the tutorial and if you have Facebook with a Spotify account linked, can make use of it.
Hope it helps
Rilhia Solutions
2 REPLIES
Fifteen Stars

1) Yes you can. This is very simple with Talend.....simpler with XML than JSON though.
2) Paginated responses can be a bit fiddly, but entirely possible. I have actually written a tutorial about how to get Spotify listening stats from Facebook, that has to deal with a REST service making use of paginated results. My tutorial can be found here. It is probably more complicated than your job will need to be, but should give you a good idea of how to deal with getting all of the REST response pages. You can download the job at the bottom of the tutorial and if you have Facebook with a Spotify account linked, can make use of it.
Hope it helps
Rilhia Solutions
One Star

Thanks a lot. This helped.