problem with tFileOutputPositional

One Star

problem with tFileOutputPositional

I'm tried to create a text file filled with data from a database using tfileOutputPositional. Job work correctly, but if i open file with Notepad his content is not formatted. How can i solve this issue? (See image below)

Notice: If I open file with MFC Wordpad e save it as "Text Document - MS-DOS format", when reopen file, it is formatted correctly.
One Star

Re: problem with tFileOutputPositional

hi,
may be an end line character not recognize by notepad,
did you try with ultraedit or other ??
One Star

hi,
may be an end line character not recognize by notepad,
did you try with ultraedit or other ??

if I open with another text editor it view correctly. I have observed, that if I open with microsoft wordpad (do you know?) and save as "Text Document - MSDOS Format", and open it again with notepad it view correctly.
One Star

I'm tried to create a text file filled with data from a database using tfileOutputPositional. Job work correctly, but if i open file with Notepad his content is not formatted. How can i solve this issue? (See image below)
Notice: If I open file with MFC Wordpad e save it as "Text Document - MS-DOS format", when reopen file, it is formatted correctly.

I have tried this solution with TOS 2.1.1 and it works.
use "\r\n" as row separator in your modules tFileOutputPositional
to change existing modules tFileOutputPositional you have to edit the jet-files (ex with Wordpad).
You can find this files here:
\plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_???\components\ tFileOutputPositional\tFileOutputPositional_main.???

Replace : sb_tFileOutputPositional_1.append("\n"); by sb_tFileOutputPositional_1.append("\r\n");
Notice : CRLF, acronyme de Carriage Return ("\r" retour chariot) + Line Feed ("\n" saut de ligne) = "\r\n"
One Star

I have tried this solution with TOS 2.1.1 and it works.

use "\r\n" as row separator in your modules tFileOutputPositional

to change existing modules tFileOutputPositional you have to edit the jet-files (ex with Wordpad).
You can find this files here:
\plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_???\components\ tFileOutputPositional\tFileOutputPositional_main.???

Replace : sb_tFileOutputPositional_1.append("\n"); by sb_tFileOutputPositional_1.append("\r\n");

Notice : CRLF, acronyme de Carriage Return ("\r" retour chariot) + Line Feed ("\n" saut de ligne) = "\r\n"
Wonderful!!! I have tried this solution right now and it works!!!
file .javajet was lightly different, it was:

//get and format output String end
<%
}
%>
sb_<%=cid %>.append("\n");
out<%=cid %>.write(sb_<%=cid %>.toString());
nb_line_<%=cid %>++;
<%
}

and i have replaced "sb_<%=cid %>.append("\n");" line by "sb_<%=cid %>.append("\r\n");"

Thank you very much!!!
One Star

Is this a general problem? If so, I think it make sense to open a bug / feature request: Creating linebreaks in dependency to the operating system (unix / dos) / or alternatively give a option to the component to decide it.
One Star

Is this a general problem? If so, I think it make sense to open a bug / feature request: Creating linebreaks in dependency to the operating system (unix / dos) / or alternatively give a option to the component to decide it.

This is a general problem. I will create a bug/feature request today.

Cheers, Kaiser.
Employee

Hello
This feature has already be opened 1680
Regards,
Michaël.
One Star

Hello Michaël,
thanks for the information. I don't know how the detailed resolution looks like, but I think it would be user friendly if:
* The default (prefilled in the gui) is set to the system-specific value (but there is a problem with different systems for generating / executing the script).
* I f you enter nothing, talend would use system specific linebreaks.
* Give a flag to select "use system specific linebreak".
So the user don't have to be worry about the operating system and special behaviors.
Bye
Volker
One Star

Hello

This feature has already be opened 1680

Regards,
Michaël.

too late!!! I have added a new bug in bugtracker.
Employee

thanks for the information. I don't know how the detailed resolution looks like, but I think it would be user friendly if:
* The default (prefilled in the gui) is set to the system-specific value (but there is a problem with different systems for generating / executing the script).
* I f you enter nothing, talend would use system specific linebreaks.
* Give a flag to select "use system specific linebreak".
So the user don't have to be worry about the operating system and special behaviors.

Like in all TOS File components : default will be "\n" and user can specify is own.
This is the general mechanism of the row separator property.
Michaël.