passsword protected Excel

One Star

passsword protected Excel

can I connect to a password protected excel file?
Community Manager

Re: passsword protected Excel

Hello
No, it is impossible to extract data from a password protected excel file with tFileInputComponent now.
Best regards
shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

that is a bummer.
One Star

Has there been any change to this? I have a file thats password protected for editing but can be opened read-only but I can't seem to get Talend to read it...
Exception in component tFileInputExcel_1
java.io.FileNotFoundException: Site Metrics - Copy.xlsb (The system cannot find the file specified)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:120)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:79)
at ciu.md_readecomdata_0_1.MD_ReadEcomData.tFileInputExcel_1Process(MD_ReadEcomData.java:720)
at ciu.md_readecomdata_0_1.MD_ReadEcomData.tFileCopy_1Process(MD_ReadEcomData.java:365)
at ciu.md_readecomdata_0_1.MD_ReadEcomData.runJobInTOS(MD_ReadEcomData.java:1286)
at ciu.md_readecomdata_0_1.MD_ReadEcomData.main(MD_ReadEcomData.java:1154)

cheers
Talend Enterprise DI 5.2.2
Community Manager

We don't handle passwords in the Excel components, so it's still impossible to read a file protected which can only be accessed with a password but I would say it should be possible to read the data using tFileInputExcel if you can open the file and read the data in read-only.
Could you try to copy and paste a sample of the content you can read into a non-protected excel file and see if this time the job works?
Check the path you entered to browse to the file as the error seems to say it is unable to find the file (not to open it or read it).
Feel free to email our support (support@talend.com) for a more specific help.
Seventeen Stars

Hi, I have found, the Apache POI library supports the password encryption in various manner.
I have added support for password protected files in the component tFileExcelWorkbookOpen (current version 3.1 in Talend Exchange).
One Star

Thanks esabot and jlolling - we have a consultant in tomorrow and will see what he thinks.
cheers
Malcolm.
One Star

Of course you can connect password protected Excel file but firstly you can break its password which you lost. You can use Excel password recovery software to recover your lost Excel file password and after that you can easily access your Excel file.
Excel Password Recovery
Seventeen Stars

The problem was not a lost password, the problem was the lack of this functionality in the current build-in components. Password support is available with the tFileExceWorkbookOpen compoenent.
I should probably consider to add the encryption feature.
Four Stars

I guess this is supported only for 2007 or later versions.
One Star

The problem was not a lost password, the problem was the lack of this functionality in the current build-in components. Password support is available with the tFileExceWorkbookOpen compoenent.

Is this component still available?
Nine Stars

Is this component still available?
There was a typo, the name is: tFileExcelWorkbookOpen
Get it here: https://exchange.talend.com