lookup using pattern matching

One Star

lookup using pattern matching

Hi all,
Im a newbie to Talend and was trying to use to create a transformation. I am trying to create a Dimensional model and have created few dimension tables. Now for loading to Fact table I need to do lookup on Dimension tables before loading. This is where my problem starts.
I have a dimension
Device_dim
DEVICE_KEY DEVICE_NAME
1 Nokia
2 LG
so on
Now my in my input stream the field where I get the device name is a long string which has the device name somewhere in between. eg.
xyz abc/Nokia-N97:abc def
also the device name can come up anywhere in between the string. i.e. xyz abLG-c/kkjfhsdef
As in perl you can do pattern matching or simply grep to check the avalability of the DEVICE_NAME in the string and return DEVICE_NAME but my transformation is in java.
Im using tMap to do lookup but as the string value in input stream is a long string with the DEVICE_NAME somewhere in between I am not able to create a transformation to do lookup on two values with a common pattern.
Please help as its urgent. For better understanding of my problem please IM me on gtalk: avantasingh@gmail.com
Thanks
AvantA
Community Manager

Re: lookup using pattern matching

Hi
Do a out join on tMap and add a filter condition on output table.
Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Thanks a ton Shong, that worked like magic. But I am facing another issue.
As I said earlier I am trying to load a Fact table and one of foreign key is DEVICE_KEY. Now as I loaded the fact table the way you told me I am able to get all the records satisfying the condition. Also I am able to get the rejected values (using enable/disable output reject) as another output. Now my issue I am facing is that my reject output is in multiples of the no. of devices in the device dimension table.
For Example, suppose I have 10 transactions and 5 device names. Now I use the lookup logic as guided by u and am able to get output where 3 devices matches so I am getting 7 records as output. But in the reject output I am getting 43 records/transactions.
What I deduct from this is that for each 5 devices all 10 transactions are checked and the output is sent as 50 transactions.
What I expected to get was.. if DEVICE_NAME matches then add DEVICE_KEY else add null i.e. no transaction/records should be missed (as in my case I am missing 3 records.)
It would be great if you could guide me how it can be done.
Thanks and Regards,
AvantA
One Star

Hi
Do a out join on tMap and add a filter condition on output table.
Best regards
Shong

Hi Shong, I really need your help in this. Can youe please guide me through the issue I am facing.
Thanks and Regards,
AvantA
Community Manager

Hello
What I expected to get was.. if DEVICE_NAME matches then add DEVICE_KEY else add null i.e. no transaction/records should be missed (as in my case I am missing 3 records.)

Please give us an example to explain your problem. What's input records? What's are you expected result?
Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Hello

Please give us an example to explain your problem. What's input records? What's are you expected result?
Best regards
Shong

Suppose I have two tables.
Device_Dim_table
======================
DEVICE_KEY DEVICE_NAME
1 Nokia
2 Samsung
---------------------------------------
Input_Table
======================
URI DEVICE_STRING